+ Reply to Thread

Default Bedroom Door in a Small Space

Greetings,

My wife and I are in the process of buying a house. We would like to install a door on a bedroom that currently has none. Unfortuately the space is rather small--too small for a traditional door. One person advised using a bifold door; we were thinking instead to use a pair of small double doors. Does anyone have any experience or advice on this?

Default Re: Bedroom Door in a Small Space

"We would like to install a door on a bedroom that currently has none"

Please help me here: how do you access the bedroom? through a window, if there is one? or maybe it's not a bedroom now, but you would like it to be one?

Anyway, there is also a pocket door option, which slides into the wall to open. However it requires a wall framing modification and may not be possible in all instances.

Um, dj1, I read it to mean there is an opening with no door.

I would think that a double door would look nicer and be easier to use than a bifold. Bifold doors are usually designed to be operated only from the outside; closing a bifold from the inside could be tricky. Another disadvantage of pocket doors is that the wall where it slides in tends to be less sturdy.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.

Quote Originally Posted by East Boston View Post
    One person advised using a bifold door; we were thinking instead to use a pair of small double doors. Does anyone have any experience or advice on this?
    You have to do what you have to do, but I personally wouldn't recommend double doors. On a narrow opening, the single door width is too small for casual use, necessitating using both doors every time you enter or exit the room which is a major pain in the posterior. Bifold doors offer less privacy and are harder to operate as earlier mentioned. I also seriously doubt that they'd hold up to the rigors of a primary door. Of the options listed so far, I'd opt for the pocket door, still not the best solution for a number of reasons, but it will afford you the widest, unobstructed opening.

The best would be to install a standard door. Typical installation is that the door swings into the room and against the nearest perpendicular wall, thus taking up the least amount of space from the room. If you can't afford the door taking up 32" - 34" of space out of the corner of the room, then you can opt to swing it out of the room instead, taking space from the hallway. This, of course, has it's own drawbacks, but they may be less offensive than the other solutions offered thus far.
    Last edited by A. Spruce; 05-16-2011 at 05:45 PM.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Got a diagram for us to work with?

Thank you all for your help! I don't have a diagram, but the next time I'm in there I'll take a close look to see if we can get a standard door in. If not, do any of you know of a good place to find small double doors--I did a quick search of the usual suspects and didn't really see what I'm looking for.

Thank you,

Pre-framed small double doors will need to be custom made from the local lumber yard.

To measure for doors, you'll need to measure low, mid and high to find the narrowest width. Then place a 4 foot (preferably 6 foot) level on each wall to see how out of plumb they are . Check high mid and low. Subtract the out-of-plumbness from the smallest width measurement.

Let us know what that number is.

Thank you for the advice. It looks like we'll be moving into the house in early July, so I may be back for some more help then. Keep up the good work!

Congrats for the purchase of the house. I hope escrow closes on time, cause I know you can't wait to roll up your sleeves and get going...