+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Wiring question

Hybrid View

Default Wiring question

I am installing a new lighting circut. I have power coming into the light swtich box. I would like 2 switches in the same box, both dimmer switches but both switches operating 2 different sets of recessed ceiling fixtures. The power source is a new 15 amp line...the cable is 14-2. Anny suggestions how to bring power from 1 dimmer to the next?

Default Re: Wiring question

You need to create what is called a pig tail on the wires. A pig tail is a short length of wire that you connect to the wires coming into the box and then to the switch. In this case you will connect the hot wire (black) coming into the box with two short pig tail wires (use black wire so the next guy working on it knows it is hot) using a wire nut. Then connect one pig tail to one switch and the other to the the second switch. Connect your black wires going out to the lights to the other screw on the switch. You will need to tie all the white wires together too with wire nuts and will need to tie all the ground wires together and create pig tails to ground each switch. I hope this makes sense and helps you out. If you aren't sure of what you are doing it is best to hire an electrician.

Mike

Thanks...I was not sure this would work with dimmer switches

Quote Originally Posted by sabo4545 View Post
    You need to create what is called a pig tail on the wires. A pig tail is a short length of wire that you connect to the wires coming into the box and then to the switch. In this case you will connect the hot wire (black) coming into the box with two short pig tail wires (use black wire so the next guy working on it knows it is hot) using a wire nut. Then connect one pig tail to one switch and the other to the the second switch. Connect your black wires going out to the lights to the other screw on the switch. You will need to tie all the white wires together too with wire nuts and will need to tie all the ground wires together and create pig tails to ground each switch. I hope this makes sense and helps you out. If you aren't sure of what you are doing it is best to hire an electrician.

Mike

Why do you think it will not work?