We live in a 100 year old brick 2 story with a walk up attic. All 4 bedrooms on the 2nd floor have ceiling light fixtures. Since we moved in about 7 years ago we have noticed a few times that the ceiling lights in the bedrooms will quit working. No breakers tripped, outlets still work in the rooms. After a while they start working again. I didn't give it too much thought until about a week ago when it started happening about every day - usually in the afternoon. Any ideas on what could be causing the problem? Thanks.
Re: Lights Out?
Sounds like loose wires somewhere. Our 70 year-old house has weird wiring, in that several rooms are on the same line. I notice that when one plug is disconnected, we lose the next one also, which means that they are wired in series. Your house may have a similar wiring scheme- inserting a lamp to a wall plug may be affecting a ceiling light in the adjacent room. Given that this is an older house, I would call a professional electrician and have the wiring checked. It will solve any problems you have, may avoid an unsafe condition that might cause a fire, and would give you peace of mind. A worthwhile investment.