+ Reply to Thread

Default painted countertops

I read an article in a TOH magazine where someone painted their countertop. It said that she used oil-based paint, but it didn't say what kind of finish she put on. Any suggestions?

Default Re: painted countertops

The only appropriate paint for countertops is a food-safe epoxy finish. The best bet is to let someone who specializes in this do the work- the fumes are dangerous, and the mixing, preparation, and application critical in achieving a durable good looking finish. The DIY stuff marketed for this just doesn't cut the mustard in comparison and nothing else comes close and is safe enough for food prep.

An oil-based enamel will work awhile but isn't food-safe rated. Me? I wouldn't worry about that as much as I would worry about keeping food-prep areas clean- if I were stuck at that price level I'd go for it, though I can't advise you to do the same. Surface preparation is the most important part of this job because countertops take a beating compared to any other surface.

Phil

Paint a countertop? crazy idea.

Mkane, you might want to check out Rust-Oleum Countertop Transformations

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb