+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Where locate Cieling Fan

Yes, I know, on the cieling. Let me describe the room....you walk in and to your immediate left is a 6 ft. wide closet....about 4 ft. of wall with an Amior, then the door to the bathroom....the door to enter the room is at the corner near the closet....sorta creates a pathway feeling leading to the master bathroom when first entering the room. Now, the question, do I center the cieling fan to the room regardless of anything....or should I take in consideration that wasted area where a bed would never fit, and center the fan where a bed could/would be placed ??....when you enter the room, I think the fan being off center to the room would not be noticable with the furniture layout....but take away the furniture, and it will actually be off center by about 2 ft. or so..Looking for opinions....where would you place it ???.
    Last edited by Beer Belly; 05-13-2011 at 12:15 PM.

Default Re: Where locate Cieling Fan

Typically, fans are centered in the room, but as you've proven, sometimes they need to be a little more strategically placed. If the room cannot be set up any differently than it is now as a bedroom, then place the fan where it will do the most good. If you think that the room will be used for something other than a bedroom, then place it in the center of the room.

A fan does not need to be centered over a bed to get good air circulation/movement across the bed, which is what it sounds like you're worried about. If you're worried about inadequate air flow, then choose a larger bladed fan that will move more air.

A "cheater" method of making a fan move more air is to change the pitch of the blades slightly to a greater angle. I've done this with my own fans and it makes a huge difference. If you choose to do this, you need to install the fan completely, then get on a ladder so that you're looking down the length of the blade. Grasp the blade at the base where the bracket attaches and gently twist it to increase the angle, about a 1/4", repeat this process all the way around the fan. Once you've changed the all the blades pitch, gently spin the fan by hand and watch that all the blades are level and pitched identically. Balance the fan as you normally would. DONE!
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Thanks for the reply....my thought is that there is basically 3 walls where a bed can be placed....I will use these 3 walls, and an imaginary wall at the edge of the doorway for figuring center.....or just look at the room and eyeball where the 4th wall would be. Thanks again

I've faced this question a lot, and always thought about the practical use of the room in determining where to mount the ceiling fan. I tend to install the fans in the center of the free space.

Quote Originally Posted by dj1 View Post
    I've faced this question a lot, and always thought about the practical use of the room in determining where to mount the ceiling fan. I tend to install the fans in the center of the free space.
    Yeah, let those paying for their space get their own fans ...
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Yes Spruce...

You know, here in Southern Cal, there are many parasites looking for a space which is free. They won't get it from me.

By free space I ment all the space which is unoccupied by a closet, entrance, etc. But this is only my suggestion. Beer Belly might want to mount his fan in the exact center of the ceiling.

By the way Beer Belly, get a fan that's quiet. Make sure it's balanced after installation and enjoy it!
    Last edited by dj1; 05-13-2011 at 06:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dj1 View Post
    By free space I ment
    I knew that

in all my time at the 'puter trying to figure out how to word where I'd like to put it....."Free space" is exactly what I was looking for. Centered to free space, or actual center........I'm gonna center to "free space"...Thanks guys, been a great help.

One last piece of advice. If you're gonna get a light kit for your fan, don't forget to run separate switch legs for the fan and light operation, and for God's sake, spend the extra money and get the upgraded light kit.

Actually, the Ceiling Fan we selected is a Harbor Breeze brand that is wired using 2 wires, and can run the light and fan seperate using a remote that comes with it. It also has a single globe for a light versus the type with 4 lights that you can adjust slightly....I told the Wife that type would have one of us with the light pointing right in thier face....so we got the single globe. I am running 14/3 wirw in the box and switch should someone have a change of heart.