+ Reply to Thread

Default New jamb liners for older windows?

I have a 1952 house with original windows. After a lot of research I've decided to update and refinish them rather that tossing them out for vinyl inserts. They have some water stains but are in very good shape with no rot so they don't need to be "rebuilt".

First I need to update the jamb liners and weather stripping. There doesn't seem to be much info available or even many suppliers of replacement jamb liners. I found a couple but can't post links here(?).

Does anyone have any experience with this or have any advice about what jamb liners to use?

The windows are on metal jamb liners now with springs in them, so no weights and chambers to insulate. I can't attached a picture yet apparently either.

Thanks.

Default Re: New jamb liners for older windows?

You don't say why you need to replace the jamb liners. Generally you need to find a jamb liner with the same profile because the edges of the sashes are milled to fit.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

They are the original jamb liners so they are not terribly efficient, they don't slide real well, they have noisy springs, but most importantly I want to replace them because they do not allow for the sashes to be taken out for cleaning and maintenance. These windows haven't had any maintenance for several years so they need a lot of work.

There is one local company here that will router the edges and put them on new jamb liners and add modern weatherstripping, but it's $230/window. I'd rather do it myself and save the money but there isn't a lot of info or suppliers around for this project it seems.

You can get a pretty good idea what it would require to retrofit new jamb liners here: http://jamblinersusa.com/

The old-style aluminum liners that fit into a 5/8" round-bottomed groove in the sash sides are no longer available, so to make the windows work again you probably have to upgrade to the ones linked to, or fill in the slots, use tape balances (Caldwell or Pullman) and older types of weatherstripping, spring bronze or interlocking metal, or simple vinyl w-strips which don't last very long but require little outlay and no special tools.
    Casey
    Remove not the ancient landmark, which your fathers have set.