+ Reply to Thread

Thumbs up Gray romex 12/2/UB-F

Hello,
    I am new to this site and I see alot of excellent information ,but I can't find the one that I am looking for. I want to install a ceiling on my patio and I have the gray 12/2 UB-F Romex wire. Does this romex have to be in conduit to meet code.
    Thanks,
    Ray

Default Re: Gray romex 12/2/UB-F

Quote Originally Posted by chonchon View Post
    Hello,
    I am new to this site and I see alot of excellent information ,but I can't find the one that I am looking for. I want to install a ceiling on my patio and I have the gray 12/2 UB-F Romex wire. Does this romex have to be in conduit to meet code.
    Thanks,
    Ray

No one here can answer that question for you.Building/Electrical codes vary from state to state and county's. In Florida pretty much all residential is romex.I grew up in the Illinois area 50 miles north of Chicago & all electrical in residential & commercial is in EMT conduit.

Head out to some of the more farm rural communities in different county's Romex is allowed. Jump over the state line into Wisconsin all residential is Romex as far as I know.

Have you looked in your electrical panel to see what kind of wire is existing ????

Ck your with your local building dept for codes.
    Gizmo

Cut it 3 times & it's still to short.
    Inventor of the Miter Master Plus.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Gizmo is correct,

There is no way we can tell you what your local building code requires. There are some good reasons to shield the wire anyway;

1- Building codes change over time, never getting more lax. It often comes to pass that the wire that was OK today needs to be upgraded when the house is up for sale.

2- Shielded / piped / properly run wire looks much neater.

As stated above, and in some jurisdictions even if romex is code exposed wiring such across a patio ceiling must be in a channel or conduit. Best to check with local building department.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Thumbs up Re: Gray romex 12/2/UB-F

I live in California.I am planning on using an existing outlet box for the power source. I was told at home depot that this gray romex was meant for outdoors and it did not have to be in conduit. The romex in my garage is on the rafters with no conduit.The house was built in 1998. So I am confused.
    Ray

UF cable is direct bury, which means you can put it in the ground without conduit, but like other jackets it needs to be protected from direct sun light.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Ray, I believe you meant 12-2 UF-B which is the crown jewel of Romex. Basicaly, if listed as "sunlight resistant", it can be run inside, outside, direct buried etc. by 2011 Code, if properly secured and not subject to physical damage.

But, local jurisdictions (AHJ) can require that you run wire or cable in conduit or improve on the Code for any reason, if they see fit. A call to the permit office should clear any questions up.

I can see no reason why it they would do that for a patio ceiling.

Good Luck from , Wilsonville, ALabama
    Maurice Turgeon, http://thesemi-retiredelectrician.com