+ Reply to Thread

Default Walls Are Moving

I own a house originally built as a summer camp in the early 1940's. The walls have bowed out over the years and I have done my best to put supports in the attic (eg. collar ties,etc) but after some very severe winters, the corners of the walls still crack and continue to travel. Someone has mentioned the use of cables in order to tie the roof plates together to stop the movement.
    I was hoping for some advice or the name of someone who could inspect the problem to give me the correct solution.
    Thank you in advance for your time.

Default Re: Walls Are Moving

Quote Originally Posted by rforesteire View Post
    I own a house originally built as a summer camp in the early 1940's. The walls have bowed out over the years and I have done my best to put supports in the attic (eg. collar ties,etc) but after some very severe winters, the corners of the walls still crack and continue to travel. Someone has mentioned the use of cables in order to tie the roof plates together to stop the movement.
    I was hoping for some advice or the name of someone who could inspect the problem to give me the correct solution.
    Thank you in advance for your time.

Is the roof a Gable. If it is I cant see the end walls pushing out with the studs under the Gable roof rafter. I would think if the house was built in the 1940's the Gable is sheathed with 1x material.
    Gizmo

Cut it 3 times & it's still to short.
    Inventor of the Miter Master Plus.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Unfortunately no one can really offer specific recommendations over the internet --- sight unseen -- cables or rods with turnbuckles -- perhaps.
    However, if there are ceiling joists and providing they are properly fastened to the exterior wall top plates these act to keep the walls from pushing out.

There may also be foundation issues causing the walls to bow out.

A structural engineer would be a good choice to evaluate the structure and make appropriate recommendations.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

Ditto the recommendation for an engineer to evaluate the situation and possible fixes.
    A good & experienced contractor could be a big help, but I'd probably start with the engineer.

Thanks guys. Any suggestions for a Structural Engineer in the Billerica Area?