Results 1 to 4 of 4
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2009

    Default Whole House Power Surge Protector

    We are finishing up repairs to our home from Hurricane Ike. We were hit very hard, but not total destruction. Our insurance did not cover the cost of replacing some appliances due to power surges/spikes. We want to know if there is some kind of protective device we can install on our home to prevent this. We are currently facing electrical repairs/replacemnts totaling $10,000 (not covered by insurance)! Suggestions, PLEASE!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Pacific Northwet

    Default Re: Whole House Power Surge Protector

    Providing your electrical panel is not obsolete, you should be able to purchase a surge arrestor that fits in the electrical panel in the place of a circuit breaker.

    You can also purchase external surge arrestors that are hard-wired into the electrical panel.

    Contact your electrical utility. They may provide a surge arrestor that connects to the electrical meter.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2009

    Wink Re: Whole House Power Surge Protector

    Specifically, Google "whole house surge protector". Square D has a nice one for a reasonable price.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Fairfax, VA

    Arrow Re: Whole House Power Surge Protector

    This is most helpful, as the area I live in constantly goes through power outages and we can have some violent electrical storms.

    I will look into this same thing for our home.

    NOVA Pros

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts