+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Useful Life of breaker

Quote Originally Posted by dj1 View Post
    I love how the discussion went from breakers to real estate in general.
    It's been known to happen topics can drift off and end up discussing the most trivial of things.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

A home inspector would need to be very careful with what he states in a report if it cause the loss of the sale. AFCI are required by current code but adding them to existing homes is not mandated. K&T has been around a long time and is still in a lot of homes, replacement is only now being mandated in a few jurisdictions. There are many homes in my area that don't have AFCI's or GFCI's and they are not required unless new electrical work is performed.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRemodeler View Post
    I've had this discussion with realtors too many times.

In my fair city, a well plumbed house, or great electrical, or new windows don't raise the value of a house one penny.

Sad but true.

Granted this is to the general public. There are the few (very few) who appreciate a well built house over a 'pretty' one.
    A well-plumbed or wired house probably won't demonstrate an increased value over one that is merely plumbed or wired adequately and safely. But one that has inadequate or unsafe plumbing or wiring will certainly have a lower value.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.

"Isn't the requirement to have AFCI breakers for *new* circuits?

In which case existing circuit breakers that aren't AFCI are grandfathered in and don't need to be replaced -- yes ?
    "

Well..actually per the 2011 Code: "210.12 (B) Branch Circuit Extensions or Modification- Dwelling Units. In any of the areas specified in 210.12(A), where branch circuit is modified, replaced or extended, the branch circuit shall be protected by one of the following:

1) A listed combination-type AFCI located at the origin of the branch circuit."

Remember, I first said if there was no problem do nothing. If there were problems I would replace the standard breakers with AFCI or GFCI, per Code.

And you're right Jack if an inspector causes a sale to go bad, things can get ugly real quick. He/she better be right!

I'll bet the real estate agent who laughed (about value) usually represents the seller. A good buyers agent would use poor electrical (or anything else) to reduce the asking price.

An inspection ordered by the seller will read completely different than one ordered by the buyer. Go figure.
    Oops, more real estate talk.

Lastly, I don't people who read these posts are "average" home owners who don't recognize safety, quality or value.

Good Luck from Wilsonville, Alabama
    Maurice Turgeon, http://thesemi-retiredelectrician.com

Since we are on real estate talk. lol. My wife and I, before we got the house we did, looked at many houses. There were two houses in particular that while she was looking at paint,carpet, cabinet space, etc... I was looking at the small things. The houses were great looking but one house had a receptacle at about 30 degrees off from being straight. Cut in box maybe, i dont know. My point was if they didnt take any more pride in thier work espically the electrical i didnt want any thing to do with it. If they show that, what is behind the walls? The other house didnt have romex connectors in three kos. Maybe an overreaction on my part but better safe than sorry. I am not going to bring my now 3 kids in a house I am unsure about.

Egdeking...

My point exactly.

FACT: a house that doesn't meet today's building codes, for whatever the reason, is in a disadvantage in the eyes of the smart home shopper, especially in a "buyer's market".
    True, there will always be buyers who are willing to overlook this fact, if the house is such an incredible bargain or if we are in a "seller's market".

Now this unusual fact in real eastate: First time home buyers will look at a home for sale, ask the realtor to see more, and after seeing a dozen or so, will, in most cases, go back to the first home and make an offer. Why? nobody knows.

Quote Originally Posted by The Semi-Retired Electric View Post
    "[I]I'll bet the real estate agent who laughed (about value) usually represents the seller. A good buyers agent would use poor electrical (or anything else) to reduce the asking price.

Maurice Turgeon, http://thesemi-retiredelectrician.com
    Apparently you didn't understand my point . I wasn't talking about poor electrical wiring . I said that simply replacing the circuit breakers ( only ) was not going to increase the value of the home , which is what you alleged . I stand by that , as do some others here . So does my sister and my daughter in law . Both are Realtors .