+ Reply to Thread

Question Electric stove wiring

I'm going to help a friend put in wiring for an electric stove. From what I've seen ******, people mention putting in 30, 40, or 50 amp breakers. I'm not sure how you choose.

At this point, the wiring will go in before he gets a stove, so wouldn't the most flexible option be to install a 50 amp breaker with the corresponding gauge wire? I'm assuming that if the stove required a 30 amp breaker, by providing a higher rated breaker and corresponding gauge wire would be OK?

-Brad

Default Re: Electric stove wiring

Would it be "OK", yes. You can always put larger wire than is necessary. The problem would be trying to install the much larger wire in a receptacle designed for 10 ga wire. Not only the screw terminals but the open space in the box. And finally if you install a 30 amp receptacle you would need to change the breaker to a 30 amp breaker, the breaker must be sized to the lowest rated wire or device in the circuit. Again you would have trouble installing the heavy wires in the breaker.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

A standard slide-in range (oven, stovetop, drawer underneath, doesn't attach to countertop) generally requires a 50A 125/250V circuit.

Other styles, such as wall ovens, stovetops that are set into the countertop, and ranges that are supported by the cabinetry may have different requirements. I would suspect that electricians must follow some kind of rule of thumb, as they can't always anticipate the appliances that homeowners will choose.

I'd say, at a mimimum, install wire suitable for a 50A, 125/250V circuit. You can always put a smaller breaker and receptacle in place as needed. Be aware that some 30A receptacles may not be able to connect directly to heavier wire and you may need to jper it with proper connectors.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.

I must be getting old and tired. Put in the 50 amp breaker, run the service with 3wire plus ground and install a 4 prong 50 amp receptacle. If the stove requires less than 50 amp all you would need do is change the plug on the stove.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Great advice given by all.
    But let us not forget the appliance has a nameplate. Read said nameplate and go from there.
    Last edited by Ernie_Fergler; 03-25-2009 at 09:37 PM.

The name plate is usually on the bottom left corner of the face frame. Pull out the drawer or open the oven door and you should find it.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.