+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bow on sink rim

Default Bow on sink rim

Hi

I bought a stainless steel sink and I noticed a slight bow on the rim on both sides and front and back. Is this by design so it can be pulled down tight to the counter top OR is this a defect ?

Any help would be appreciated.

albanello

Default Re: Bow on sink rim

Most likely just a characteristic (or flaw) of the stamping process.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by JLMCDANIEL View Post
    Most likely just a characteristic (or flaw) of the stamping process.

Jack

I would agree, it's not something to worry about as long as the rim pulls down tight to the counter top when installed.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Let me add this:
    The sink probably came with mounting screws and brackets. Use them properly, and the bow will likely disappear. Then caulk around the sink with the right caulking.
    Connect the drain, the garbage disposer, install the faucet, etc.
    and enjoy the new sink!

You can flatten a bent sink to some degree but you can't go overboard. By how much is this sink bent? What gauge is the steel?

HoustonRemodeler:
    The sink rim is bowed about 1/4" at the center of all 4 sides. It is 20 guage.

dj1, A. Spruce:
    There are mounting clamps. I put 2 on at the 1/3 points of the length ( 25" wide 1 clamp at 8" from each end) . Without forcing I was able to pull down to "about" little less then a 1/8 of a inch. Did not want to force it. If I put 2 clamps at the center and push the sink down with a 2x4 and some clamps I may be able to pull it down flush to the counter.

Thank you all for your response.
    albanello

Most all stainless steel sinks Ive installed had the bows in them, especially if they have the welded on tracks underneath for the clamps to slide into. I would think the bow happens when the mounting track is welded on in the factory.

Purchase extra clamps to slide into the track,they wil help to draw the sink down much easier.
    Gizmo

Cut it 3 times & it's still to short.
    Inventor of the Miter Master Plus.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Gizmo:
    That is what this sink is "welded on tracks underneath for the clamps to slide into"

If the bend is normal I'll put all the fasteners in the middle and pull it down. I was just concered the welded track could tear loose. I will probably have to push it down with a 2x4 and some claps, I don't think turning the sink fasteners screws will work by them self.

Thank
    albanello

Quote Originally Posted by albanello View Post
    Gizmo:
    That is what this sink is "welded on tracks underneath for the clamps to slide into"

If the bend is normal I'll put all the fasteners in the middle and pull it down. I was just concered the welded track could tear loose. I will probably have to push it down with a 2x4 and some claps, I don't think turning the sink fasteners screws will work by them self.

Thank
    albanello
    albanello the bow is normal Ive seen it many times in the past. You wont need to push down with a 2x4 LOL...... Use a nut driver if you can to draw the sink down...It you have a cordless drill/driver try using it.

Good Luck
    Gizmo

Cut it 3 times & it's still to short.
    Inventor of the Miter Master Plus.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Gizmo

Thanks for the information. I'll be working on it this weekend. Most of my eveninges, before the sun goes down, is spent trying to kill moles, I hate those %%%$$##@@# creatures they are so destructive when you are trying to have a nice lawn. Anyway sorry to get off topic.......

Thanks again
    albanello