+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Default Back yard never dries out..where to start?

I live in the North East and my home sits on the center of a one acre lot that is at the bottem of a 3 level hill. The lowest part of the land is my back yard which never seems to dry out completely(even in summer)All winter and spring it is wet, muddy and gooey. We have a septic system. During the summer most of it dries with the exception of about 1/3 in the far back corner. I don't know if there are issues with the leech field, water run off from upper levels or combinations of both. My septic company tells me that i should " try aeration into the leech field" and this "may" help. I am not sure where to start since i don't know what exactly is causing the problem and I don't have tons of money to "try" solutions. Where would it be wisest to invest money for a solution? Is there some type of spe******t that I could call in to analyze the whole situation from all aspects(drain, septic etc)

Default Re: Back yard never dries out..where to start?

If the septic leach field is in the area that is saturated, you may want to install an "interceptor drain" on the uphill side of the leach field.

Basically, you dig a trench, place perforated pipe in the bottom of the trench, and fill it with gravel. You can cover it with landscaping fabric then a layer of soil.

Groundwater will flow into this pipe, which them must be routed around the leach field through solid pipe to an appropriate location downhill of the leach field.

Septic leach fields depend on evaporation. Whatever wastewater in the leach field that doesn't percolate downward into the water table must evaporate out, which is most of it. If the soil has become compacted, it may not be able to evaporate sufficiently so it will stay soggy.

Likewise, if you have a lot of natural runoff (groundwater) from elsewhere flowing into your leach field, evaporation will be inhibited. A properly installed interceptor drain will prevent this runoff from entering the leach field.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.