+ Reply to Thread

Default Valspar Latex Paint

I am repainting the trim in my home.It seems the latex paint is drying to quickly on the brush and during painting small pieces get on the finish.I clean the brush very well each time I use it.What could I possibly be doing wrong.The weather condition is very very dry,is that a possibility.Should I thin the paint a little.

Default Re: Valspar Latex Paint

Rapid drying conditions will cause the paint to dry on the brush bristles and cause the problem you're describing. It is best to work in cooler, non-direct sun exposure conditions than to fight your way through the project. If waiting for optimal conditions is not possible, then you have to regularly wash out your brush to get rid of the dried paint particles that are causing the problem. You can thin the paint a little bit which will help, but the rapid drying problem will still be prevalent and you'll need to wash out the brush frequently.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

It is never a good idea to paint in direct sunshine, but sometimes it is not avoidable, especially on a southern exposure. Many a time, I would start very early on a south side and work furiously to get off that side before the sun hit the siding by about 8:30 AM. If I could not finish, I would square off and continue on that side the next morning.

You can thin your paint. Most acrylic/latex paints state that they can be thinned with up to one cup of water per gallon. The use of Floetrol paint conditioner also slows down the drying time.

Benjamin Moore used to state on their exterior paints that if it were absolutely unavoidable to stay out of the hot sun, the siding could be misted with a water hose!

Most paints state not to paint when the air temp is over 90 degrees. That advice would rule out painting in Arizona for most of the year! The high humidity of places such as Florida would make too fast drying somewhat less critical.

MY 1st choice would be XIM's Latex X-tender.

This isn't a "thinner". It just prevents the paints' binder from setting-up so fast in warmer weather. It helps paint to level better, which reduces brush-strokes too.

Faron

Smile Re: Valspar Latex Paint

Just wanted to say Thank You for the reply,I am doing just that-cleaning the brush often.Also purchased better brushes,HMM solved a lot of the problem.Thanks again.