+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Squeeky Floor

Default Squeeky Floor

My second floor is decked using 2 x 6 tongue and groove boards layed at a diagonal across the floor joists. Before I layed carpet I went around and screwed down the squeeky spots. Soon after the carpet was layed the squeeks came back. My plan is to take the carpet up, screw down the boards again then put in a self leveling underlayment to fill in all the gaps. Then add a layer of 5/8 tongue and groove plywood. I was going to use constrution adhesive and screws. Once that is down I plan to put down a hardwood floor. Does this sound reasonable?

Default Re: Squeeky Floor

sounds good to me although you can probably get away with 1/2 plywood as opposed to 5/8 t&g
    fire up the saw and make some dust

Default Re: Squeaky Floor

SLC might be good to level a concrete slab or to smooth a floor before installing sheet vinyl or glue-down engineered hardwood, but you might be asking for trouble using it the way you describe. Any flex of vibration will cause the SLC to crumble, possibly fall through the cracks and then your new floor will begin to squeak, your old subfloor will start squeaking again and you'll need to walk around with ear muffs.

Find the cause of the squeaks and fix them. Most squeaks are caused by a misplaced nail sliding against the joist or in a nail hole that has grown a little larger than the nail. Remove the nails and replace with properly fastened deck screws. It might take you a few days, but eventually you will find them all.

Once the subfloor has been properly fastened, then install 3/8" or better plywood (not luan, not particleboard, not masonite, not OSB - PLYWOOD). Fasten it with screws or staples - 3 - 4" along the plywood edges and 4 - 6" in the field (both directions). Start the fastening in a corner of the panel and work your way to the opposite corner. Don't do the edges and then the field or you'll stress the panel.

Follow the manufacturer's instructions on the installation of the hardwood. If it's a nail-down, you may want to use 15# saturated felt paper between the hardwood and the new plywood underlayment. If you have dips and valleys, use the felt paper in layers to flatten the floor. Large areas of very low spots can be brought up with quarter-inch ply. You can also use heavier felt paper (like 30#) and thinner material like red rosin paper.

If it's a glue-down hardwood, THEN you can use a good quality patching or leveling compound.

Good luck,

Jim
    a Floor Pro

I was planning on using a latex underlayment rather than a concrete based product. Although I have never used it, I assumed it would fill in the voids with a more rubber like consistancy and therefore wouldn't crack.

It might be good to note that the only part of this floor that doesn't squeek is the bathroom where a concrete base was floated in over the decking and it is tiled.
    Last edited by jrhalltx; 05-08-2011 at 07:44 AM. Reason: additional information

Default Re: Squeaky Floor

You didn't mention the name of the "latex" product, so I can't comment. But then, I am just one flooring professional. Maybe you could ask a LOT of flooring professionals at The Floor Pro Community.

Jim

How about light concrete?
    I've used it before and it worked fine.