+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: seeding problems in the month of May?

Quote Originally Posted by A. Spruce View Post
    Hard to say why the landscaper would recommend this. Unless you need to amend the soil or raise it's level, there isn't any reason to add anything. My guess is that you've got poor quality soil and the amendments are to give your sod/seed something to grow in.
    The comapany is not a landscaper but a paving company that I'm using to redo the driveway. I just used them to completely remove everything from the backyard including an old metal shed. So they upturned nmost of the grass and graded the whole thing. The lawn had many depressions. Looking back I probably should have gottena landscaper to do it. In any event I can't just lay sod over it because of all the roots, small and large that are either sticking out or just under the top. Plus it needs to be smoother than what they did. I tested my soil and it is only slightly acidic at around 6.5.

Hey thanks for all the advice.
    Unfortunately I hadn't been able to complete the work.
    So after the grading, what once was a yard of dirt, now has about 85% weeds, 10% grass, and 5% bare spots.

I'm not sure where to go from here to get a nice lawn.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Barry

It looks like you are back in square one...

But don't worry, every homeowner knows how it is to be back in square one. I know it too, because the front and back lawns in one rental that I own have completely died under the scorching sun, in spite of the million gallons of irrigation water they received.

It's mid july here, and it's probable mid July in MA. as well. So, you got to wait about 2 months. In Sept, you start the process again, just like others recommended. That's exactly what I'll be doing, weather permitting, and I'll use sod (Marathon I sod goes for about $0.40 /sf, delivered).

Start over again.. you mean grading it... I'm wondering now that everything has pretty much grown in, if I mow and cut it real low and add a few inches of screened loam... maybe that'll kill everything?

Grading may not be necessary. Topping your existing mowed weed with a few inches of topsoil will help, as explained in previous postings about this subject. Do some research and a little bit of reading, and you'll find all your questioned answered.

If you skip a step in the preparation, and your new sod eventually fails, you'd realize that you made a mistake. So don't be penny wise and dollar foolish, and do it correctly.

Weed seeds are in the soil, everywhere. They also come with the wind. They take over, water or not. It's a battle (which mankind can't win) to keep them out. Even a new sod carries a certain amount of weed seeds in it.

Quote Originally Posted by dj1 View Post
    Weed seeds are in the soil, everywhere. They also come with the wind. They take over, water or not. It's a battle (which mankind can't win) to keep them out.
    I guess that's why after the grading I've got stuff growing where it never used to.

thanks... I've been reading much on the subject and opinions / advice vary greatly. Don't think I want to spray roundup over 1,000 sq ft.

My front lawn has the left half dark green grass and the right side has bright green weeds but that's for another time.