+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default seeding problems in the month of May?

Hello,

I've read much on this subject and some of what I read say you can seed almost any time (except in the winter) but most people tell me to wait till around september before seeding. I live about 30 miles west of Boston. I've just had the back yard graded. I'll be applying about 3 inches of compost top soil. So now I'm asking here. Is it not advisable to seed in May?

Thanks for any advice.
    Barry

Default Re: seeding problems in the month of May?

You can seed in May if you can keep the seedlings from drying out. Generally fall months are better for seeding due to the increased rain and cooler temps.

You can seed anytime that the temperatures are not too hot where it will dry the soil out, resulting in poor germination or crop loss.

I am a big proponent of sod because it is literally "instant" lawn. You only have to be careful with it for the first month or so until it can get properly rooted, then you can pretty much do whatever you want on it without fear of damage. Seed will take a very long time to come in fully and get past that "delicate" stage. You will not have a yard to enjoy this summer if you use seed. The biggest factor with sod is the initial expense, but beyond that, it's far easier to do than seed, with no special after-care needed.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Every few years I'd overseed in the late fall, that way the seed take advantage of the wet fall and spring, but I just did a search and found out I should be doing it it September. This is for the Northeast, Mass.

Thanks for the replies.

I too would rather sod and now that I've priced out a few farms, it's not too too expensive.

Can anyone recommend a particular farm? I've looked at sites such as SODCO, JD Drake, SAvage Farms, and NE Turf.

I'm sure there are others.

Have to figure out what type/blend of grass I want.

Sod blends vary from one part of the country/climate/growing zone to another, as they do based on full sun vs those designed for heavily shaded yards, so I can't recommend a specific company or blend for your area or application. The sod suppliers know their products and can assist you with making the right choice. To make sure that one isn't feeding you a line, consult several dealers for product info and pricing.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Well I've tried to upload a .jpg but keeps saying it's invalid. It is smaller than the maximums allowed.

Anyway, the lawn was graded. It's a bit acidic so I need to add some lime.
    So let's see if I have this correct.
    I have to till this... add 3" of topsoil... mix in some lime to raise the ph level... roll it out to comopact it and make it smooth, lay the sod or spread the seed and water.

Yes?

Thanks
    Barry

That sounds about right.

Along with the top soil I'd also add compost to enrich the soil. This will supply the nutrients to the sod/seed for the first few months without having to add fertilizers.

Thanks for replying.

Right,yes... the landscape supply company has topsiol, composted to a neutral pH and also an Organic Compost.

Question... the company that graded the lawn, said I should put 'screened loam' on top. So I'm at a loss here.. screened loam, topsoil mis, organic compost...??

Also and I can't find an answer to this but what does it meean for topsiol to be "Screened to minus". Shall I conclude that there won't be any 'lumps' bigger than 1/2"?

Thanks again,
    Barry

Quote Originally Posted by bggas400 View Post
    Question... the company that graded the lawn, said I should put 'screened loam' on top. So I'm at a loss here.. screened loam, topsoil mis, organic compost...??

Hard to say why the landscaper would recommend this. Unless you need to amend the soil or raise it's level, there isn't any reason to add anything. My guess is that you've got poor quality soil and the amendments are to give your sod/seed something to grow in.

Also and I can't find an answer to this but what does it meean for topsiol to be "Screened to minus". Shall I conclude that there won't be any 'lumps' bigger than 1/2"?

Screening removes large debris, so for your amendment to be screened to 1/2" minus means that it's been put through a sieve that has removed anything larger than 1/2". This isn't usually a problem, since the materials in question are usually a blend and are screened both to mix the components and to remove debris. It's always best to visit your supplier and see the materials yourself to see if that is what you want and need.

Thanks again,
    Barry
    Again, unless your soil needs amendment or leveling/raising, you shouldn't have to add anything. In my area the soil quality is so poor that I add compost to give the grass something to feed on for the first few months. After that it's topical fertilizers as necessary. The only time I've used "topsoil" which was a blend of the local garbage dirt, compost and sand, was to fill in depressions in an existing lawn, then overseeding these areas. Had I been starting from scratch it would have been straight compost, which in these parts is municipally composted yard waste.