+ Reply to Thread

Default Old House with a leaky lead pipe

I own a home that was built in the 1930's. The house was built around the plumbing and it appears that many of the the pipe joints, etc were custom made on-site. I have an upstairs bathroom with a leaking main outgoing pipe where everything joins together. I have had plumbers look at it, and they all want to drop the 11 foot ceiling to 9 foot....not a possibility for me...I'm not sure that they are familiar with older homes. I am having trouble attaching a pic but can email it if wanted. Does anyone know of anyone that could manufacture such a piece, or a plumbing company that is familiar with old homes...any advice is helpful at this point.

Default Re: Old House with a leaky lead pipe

It sounds like what you have is a lead bend with branch lead drains connected to it. That was a common practice at the time your home was built. The last time I did something like that it was for a plumbing license many years ago. It has become a lost art. I'm afraid your only choice is to replace it with PVC or ABS pipe. If you have the space you may be able to do it between floors. You will be much better off with out the lead pipe, as it will only develop more leaks. I'm surprised it lasted this long.

John

Default Re: Old House with a leaky lead pipe

Thanks John, I wish it wouldn't have lasted this long so the previous owners could have fixed it.....although it was apparent that there was some previous attempts at patching when I opened the ceiling. If anyone knows of someone in the Hampton Roads area of Virginia that specializes in plumbing in old homes, please forward their contact information....Thanks.
    Last edited by TheDrake; 05-06-2011 at 10:35 AM.