+ Reply to Thread

Question laying a floating wood floor

where in the house is the best place to start laying wood flooring ?? some people have told me too start laying in the hallway , and i have heard to start laying in the ( biggest ) bedroom agaisnt the longest wall ...I should let you know I have the Main room , and the kitchen ( not counting the bath rooms ) on the south side of the house , and then the hallway and three rooms on the north side of the house
    Last edited by myttoes; 06-14-2011 at 09:42 AM. Reason: to give a better lay out of the house .

Default Re: laying a floating wood floor

It depends on the layout of where the flooring is going to be laid, sight lines, and what you're trying to achieve.

Typically you want to run the flooring the length of a hallway or room, not across it, which may necessitate a direction change when entering a room. Depending on the width and type of flooring used, you may start in the middle of the space and work outward OR you may start against a wall and work your way across.

I know this doesn't really clarify your questions, but it's how the pro's decide how to lay and where to start on a project. I can also tell you that some products are made to be assembled in a certain direction, Pergo 'click' flooring for instance, really needs to be started against a wall and worked across the floor because it is easier to assemble working tongue to groove rather than groove to tongue as you interlock them.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Well after a lot of Trail and Error . I should tell everyone reading this post . the best place to start laying the floating wood flood is in the hallway every room ties into the hallway , just find the center of the hallway , and go from there , and it will all match up . just a little helping hand .. p.s please make sure your floor is level that is the most important thing ..

Glad you got your floors in.

As I said, there is no "rule" of where to start a floor. When I laid mine I started in the hallway, but I've also started them against a wall or the middle of a room, depending on the layout needed. And again, the type of flooring will make a difference in where you start.

Again, glad you got your floors in and I hope you're enjoying them.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

When I lay tiles, I start from the center line and work it out towards the walls. But when I lay laminate, I like to start from one wall and work it out towards the other side. All adjustments are done at the last course. Why? because I like to do the entire floor with the same tongue and groove interlocking direction. It's easier and gives the floor that perfect finished look.