+ Reply to Thread

Default Central AC Coil Damage

I had my AC unit on top of my roof inspected today. The AC guy stated the coil was leaking and explained a process by which cleaning chemicals used every day in the house are recirculated in the AC unit and over time the coil will develop numerous pinhole leaks. He said the term for it was spidervaning. He showed me the outside vanes where there were some streaks he attributed to oil leaking from the coils.

I can't find anything on the internet about this and am looking for advice on whether or not I should be worried.

Default Re: Central AC Coil Damage

I've never heard of spidervaning and couldn't find anything on the Internet about it. I'm sure that if someone on the forum has heard of it they'll speak up. In the meantime I'd like to know how all these household chemicals get into the system?? If I were you I'd get another tech out there to look at it and not one from the same Co. Good luck!

This is a new one on me as well. I can see where the vapor of products like ammonia or chlorine (bleach ), and a few other caustics could cause damage to the coils in the air handler, however, the only way that concentrations of the vapor can get high enough to cause that damage would be if the products were stored in the same space as the air handler intake, which is highly unlikely.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Hmmm -- just like the others said -- new one here as well.
    One would have to think if chemicals within the living space are deteriorating the coil, then the living space would have some toxic air quality for folks to be breathing in.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

Cool Re: Central AC Coil Damage

I agree with you all. I found it hard to believe but wanted to do my own homework before giving $2k to get a perfectly good coil replaced.

Thanks for the advice.

Were the coils bent at all? For about $2, you can buy a fin comb on ebay that can straighten the coils out. This may not be your issue, but at 1/1000 of the cost, it may be worth a try!

A fin comb won't straighten out the coil, only the fins and sometimes even there beyond repair.

Maybe it's just me, but if the fins are OK and it hasn't lost it's coolant charge through leakage in the coils, how can the coils be a problem? Perhaps you would like to buy my supply of muffler bearings for your car I'll cut you a better deal that that HVAC guy said he would

Why did you get an a/c tech on the roof in the first place?

Did you experience a problem or did you just want to prepare for a very hot summer?

I would get a free second (or third) opinion.

And if it ain't broke, won't fix it.