+ Reply to Thread

Smile Stair Case Missing

My home was built aroound 1906. The main Staircase was removed I would like to use a 5 3/4" rise with a 13" run the ceing height is 9'3" How would this look in a room that is 11' X 14' 7" ?

Default Re: Stair Case Missing

it would look terrible, honestly. using a unit rise of 5 3/4" would mean 19 risers which in turn means you will have to have a landing as a single flight of stairs must have a resting point when the number of risers is more than 13. not only that at 13 risers the strenght of a stringer is just about maxed out even with switching to lvl as opposed to regular lumber

also with a unit run of 13" you will be looking at 19.5 ft for the total length of the stair

just plain stupid, a standard stair case most commonly has a unit rise of 7.5" and a unit run of 10.5"
    fire up the saw and make some dust

The kind of rise/run you are proposing falls in the "monumental" category. Seen in grand public spaces. There is a similar stair in the National Gallery. It's marble with bronze railings. If you really want this (although honestly it seems way too large for the space allotted) you will really need to give it special handling at all phases, beginning with the design and engineering. We can't really help with that here; you first need to consult an architect.
    Casey
    Remove not the ancient landmark, which your fathers have set.

Quote Originally Posted by jkirk View Post
    it would look terrible, honestly. using a unit rise of 5 3/4" would mean 19 risers which in turn means you will have to have a landing as a single flight of stairs must have a resting point when the number of risers is more than 13. not only that at 13 risers the strenght of a stringer is just about maxed out even with switching to lvl as opposed to regular lumber

also with a unit run of 13" you will be looking at 19.5 ft for the total length of the stair

just plain stupid, a standard stair case most commonly has a unit rise of 7.5" and a unit run of 10.5"

JK brings up a good point about the stringer material depth being maxed out with 13" treads. It's darn sure maxed out thats for sure. Im pretty sure an architect/structual engineer would spec it out to be a minimum of 14" LVL, possibly 16".

Why do you want to use 13" treads ? Will Big Foot be using them ? If so I suggest using a stringer in the middle also !

JK take a deep breath !!!!!!
    Gizmo

Cut it 3 times & it's still to short.
    Inventor of the Miter Master Plus.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Your local building codes may also have a minimum riser / run ratio allowable for residential structures.

ive been breathing into a paper bag since last night when i read this...
    fire up the saw and make some dust

"" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

Quote Originally Posted by jkirk View Post
    ive been breathing into a paper bag since last night when i read this...

Know thats funny......
    Gizmo

Cut it 3 times & it's still to short.
    Inventor of the Miter Master Plus.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

With the original already gone, you are no longer in the land of "repairs" and the work will have to meet the current building codes which have gone crazy for stairs and rails. Handrail dimension height and width, overall length of gripping area radius, firestop at first riser (why not all of them? GOK...), minimum stringer thickness at cuts, maximum unsupported run length, minimum tread width and depth, minimum and maximum rise, handrail placement, when you must have two handrails, landings and their dimensions, and I'm sure I've missed something.

To be in this business you gotta love it or you'll go nuts!- Phil