+ Reply to Thread

Default Paintbrush spinner

Kevin was interviewing a painter with various painting techniques and he used a tool to spin out the water in his brush. What was this tool and where do I get it? Would it be suitable for removing paint thinner,instead of beating in a bucket like in Bob Ross classes? Thanks K

Default Re: Paintbrush spinner

Professional paint dealers will carry such a device, and yes, it will spin paint thinner or any other liquid out of the brush bristles. To be honest, a couple of good shakes will remove most of the moisture out of the ferrel area (metal band around the bristles ), then you're going to want to re-wet the bristles about half way up so that you can form them properly and hang to dry.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

I simply spin out most of the water or solvent by rolling the handle between my palms, followed by kicking it out on the toe of my shoe. I did,however,use those spinner devices for years. They do work, but I thought they make the bristles flay out too much. As Spruce says, you then have to re-form the bristles so that they can dry in the proper position.

i also used a brush spinner for years but your hands are always there when you need them us painters alway save the brush covers for a reason after you clean out the brush & spin dry the cover is meant to retain the shape of the brush cause when you spend good money for pro equipment it's best to store them right

Yrs ago I seen a painter use a spinner he modified to chuck up in a drill.....He used the parts from a broken one. I worked for brushes and roller's.... It did a great job...gotta say that......

http://www.amazon.com/SHUR-LINE-5200...6451901&sr=8-1
    Gizmo

Cut it 3 times & it's still to short.
    Inventor of the Miter Master Plus.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

I take the roller and put it in a bucket. I then take a hose (with a sprayer) and point it at the brush in such a way to make it spin. Takes a bit of practice but it can spin fast if you hit it right.

Watch out cause it can get messy if you lift it out of the bucket. And of course, do it outside.

To save a roller for the next day, simply take one of those cheap plastic grocery store bags, place the roller (still on the handle) deep into the bag. Roll the roller, wrapping the roller in the bag. Stick the whole thing in the refridgerator. The roller will stay good for a week.

I stopped using a spinner for my brushes because the spinner grippy part chewed up the nice wooden handles on my $$$ paint brushes. And since that is where my hand is, I prefer a nice smooth handle.

The trick with paint brushes is to wash them out more frequently than most DIYers do. If the paint reaches 3/4 of the way up the bristles, clean out the brush. If you are painting upside down, you'll need to wash the brush out more frequently.