+ Reply to Thread

Default How to install a porch swing in side my living room

Need help on the installation of a porch swing in my living room. I dont want to crack my cealing or get some one hert from it breaking. I need to know if I need to put suopports in the cealing or what. Need an idea on how to hang it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Default Re: How to install a porch swing in side my living room

When I installed my porch swing on the porch of my 1911 home I simply located the studs in the ceiling of the porch, drilled holes just smaller than the threads of my 3/8" hooks, screwed in the hooks and I was done.

Because you want to install it indoors I would be worried about two things: Making sure you have the hooks screwed in the center of the studs, and the chance of cracking the ceiling.

Use a stud finder to locate the ceiling studs and then use a power drill and small drill bit to probe for the stud edges. Once you know where the exact center is, drill pilot holes for your hooks and screw them in.

Depending on how your home was built the ceiling studs my flex a little under the weight of the loaded swing. If your ceiling has drywall it should be able to absorb a little flex without cracking. If your home has a plaster ceiling the flexing of the studs could cause the plaster to crack and separate from the lath.

I hope this helps, good luck with your project.

Make sure that the support beam or joists in your ceiling will support the weight of the porch swing and its occupants. If you're unsure of your ceiling's strength, have an expert check it out. Once you're sure, drill pilot holes to prevent wood splitting, screw eye-bolts or large hooks into an overhead support beam, and hang your chains.
    Source: patiolivingplus.com/lc-porch-swings-install

I have never heard of a porch swing being installed inside. Interesting idea!

Do it as described before, and exactly as you would install a hammock in the living room.

Enjoy!