+ Reply to Thread

Default Sump pump (s) running like mad

I have a new house we just moved into this year. The neighbors are all asking why we are pumping water into the ditch. Their sump pumps are runnign (as normal for spring) but nothing like mine. Mine just started running a week ago (never ran for 6 months before that) and has not stopped. i live on a natural bedrock, so I am wondering if I am on a fissure. The neighbors who are lower than me have little or no operation of their sump pumps, so it isn't becessarily groundwater, in my opinion. It is basically like I am sitting on a gusher because of the ledge rock. I can have 3 sump pumps going, but there has to be another cure. Curtain drains? A huge french drain? The water coming out of the sump is as cold as well water. This isn't a drainage issue. If someone else has had this problem, I'd like to hear from you. Please , please nobody post that I should worry about the downspouts, because that clearly is not the issue. The water table is the issue, not runoff.

thanks

Winklerorama

Default Re: Sump pump (s) running like mad

Your house may be over a spring. Check with your local dept. of natural resources. If you want to see how much of a problem this may be check out this thread https://advice.thisoldhouse.com/show...hlight=gallons

Jack
    Last edited by JLMCDANIEL; 05-02-2011 at 01:52 PM.
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Default Re: Sump pump (s) running like mad

Thanks, sounds like it could be a real issue.

The DNR hasn't offered up any help so far, only saying it wasn't their jurisdiction.

winklerorama