+ Reply to Thread

Default Tube with a hole

My steel tub has a hole (about 1 cm) that's rusted through by the drain. I've used silicone caulk in the past, but it needs to be replaced about every 9 months and the hole gets bigger every time.

What are my options? I'd rather not go through the expense and inconvenience of completely replacing the tub.

Any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Default Re: Tube with a hole

Tub liners are available, though I don't personally like them. Another option would be to contact a tub refinishing company. They may be able to scarify the hole and patch it, then resurface the tub to blend it all together.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Personally in my opinion, you're out of luck because rusts never sleep. They're like cancer, they continue to eroded metals. I have not seen any effective rust prevention on the market today. 99% of them are just temporary solution and rusts will eventually come back and erodes metals away.

On other hand, I've seen bathtub insert / liners but in your case, they're useless too because your existing bathtub is rusting away.

edit...damn...A Spruce types faster than me....
    "Life does not go by the book, we learn as we go along".

You only need two tools in life - WD-40 and Duct Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use WD-40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the Duct Tape.

Quote Originally Posted by BigWalt View Post
    edit...damn...A Spruce types faster than me....
    Oddly enough, years on forums I've taught myself to type pretty well. I took a typing class 25 years ago, but never got past having to watch my fingers. It wasn't until eight or nine years ago when the internet really got a foothold and I started frequenting a hobby forum that I decided that if I was going to be ****** for any length of time I really needed to know how to type. It really does make life on the big wide web a little easier.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!