+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unhappy new house, paint falling off walls

Hello everyone,

I live in a house that's about two years old, and the longer I live in it the more problems I find. The problem I'd like to ask about today is the issue of paint falling off of the interior corners. At the entrance to the stairs a chunk of the wall's surface just peeled off. Under the paint I could see the drywall, and a metal bracket, and a rounded piece of plastic covering the corner. The paint cracked and fell off of both sides of the corner, and where it hasn't fallen off there is space between the drywall and the outer surface. It looks normal, but it's puffy when you press on it and more of it crumbles away. Also, other corners have paint falling off in flakes. This is my first house and I know nothing about construction, but this doesn't seem normal. How do I fix this? I tried to upload a pic but got an "invalid image" error.

Thank you for any help that you can provide.

Default Re: new house, paint falling off walls

Unfortunately, you're among the increasing population of "shoddy painting" homeowner victims!
    It's sad how far some new-construction standards (ESPECIALLY PAINTING) have fallen in the last 10 years...

* The ABSOLUTE MINIMUM prep/clean-up is "standard" now sometimes.
    * The ABSOLUTE CHEAPEST primers & paints are used.

>>> But it's sold as...."Newly painted"!! My "Mike Holmes" personality is coming out now!!

* Drywall finishing/sanding qualities are slipping too.
    * Many drywall crews do the absolute minimum finishing/sanding.

My "Rant" is done now...!

Sadly OP-
    You'll have some work ahead of you.
    * Zinsser's Gardz primer will HAVE to be used to stabilize the cheap paint on wall areas.
    * Re-painting ALL is almost a certainty.
    * I'd consider hiring a painter WHO KNOWS WTH THEY'RE DOING to redo your cracking corner-beads.
    * Is your home under any kind of "Builders Warranty"? Check that out...

Faron

faron is so right on this
    in new construction its nearly non existant that the builder will send a labor in to vacuum all the walls and floor before the painters go in to spray. by not cleaning hte walls it makes it harder for the paint to stick and makes for a less smooth surface

by not priming the paint has nothing to grab onto so it stays on the wall where its supposed to be
    fire up the saw and make some dust

My guess is that a lot of sanding dust was left on the surface. Not having seen your house, I would further bet that it was sprayed and not back rolled. What this means is that you have paint loosely sitting on top of drywall sanding dust. You did not get a good primer job. Indeed, you may not have gotten a primer at all!

Unfortuynately, there are building codes which cover all the other building trades, but precious little that concerns how good the paint job is. Builders cheat on the quality of the paint job precicely for this reason - Because they can!

The other posters are probably correct in that you will be doing extensive work on the corners and then re-priming and painting.

I used to hate these kind of paint jobs when I was paper hanging. They often look fairly normal, but when paper is hung on it, after a few days the seams start lifting. Upon checking the job, the paint would be stuck to the back side of the paper and the dry wall would be plainly visible on the wall! Of course, "it's your fault, you hung the paper!" No amount of pre-papering priming can compensate for the fact that the paint is just not stuck to the drywall.

Uffda!

I'd hate to have been in Ordjen's shoes!
    Customer's often blame the most recent "Tradesman" in the house, when in fact, 97% of the time, it's due to the initial lack of clean-up/crappy initial paint-work.

This is posted various places on the web, but it's so true...

>>> A good paint-job is only as good as the job/prep BEFORE it.
    >>> In THIS case, even THE FIRST JOB is compromised!!! Any work done subsequently here is doomed....

Therefore OP-
    * You WILL have to use a "stabilizing" primer like Zinsser's Gardz that I mentioned. Its consistency is a little thinner, so it can penetrate porous/cheap paints, and bind them down.
    * Then, over this, I'd prime with a good "White" primer like 123 or C2-One. You wouldn't absolutely have to prime again, but a clean white 123'd surface is visually easier to work with IMO.
    * A PVA/Drywall primer is OK now, but a "123-class" primer is better.
    * Now you've got a sound substrate that's stabilized, and ready for 2 coats of GOOD paint!!!

Faron

Faron,

That episode with the wallpaper was in a high end gated townhome community. I subsequently learned that they had been sprayed with a "no primer needed" paint and had not back rolled. Fortunately, the general contractor let the painting contracts in 100 unit batches, so only those homes had that bad paint.

There are now self-priming paints on the market, some of which I sell. However, I would not use them on new drywall and especially not on new textured dry wall. Dedicated primers, especially drywall primers, are made with a higher resin content so as to be able to wet and bond to a porous surface. I would reserve the self-priming paints for going over existing paints which are of a good quality.

Oh my....AGAIN Ordjen!
    I'll even use my Norwegian again...Uffda!

Only a 'nother 100 units with a "shaky" paint-job...

NOT backrolling is a killer.
    * By NOT doing that, primers & paints never get "pressed-into" the substrate well.
    * They will tend to dry on TOP, forming only a weak bond with the drywall paper, and mud-joints.
    * Plus...if a "no rolling" job is done over sorta dusty drywall....wellll, a loud sneeze may bring it all down....
    * Yes, the all-in-one products have a "place", but not on bare substrates!!

Faron

Faron,

My ancestry is Danish/Norwegian. Norwegian was my fathers mother tongue, although his father was from Denmark. My grandmother was Norwegian and granddad oblige her language.

I said "only 100 units" because there were over 700 units in that gated community. I knew which ones to avoid after the initial trouble!

Another reason not to use the self-priming paint as a primer is cost. Why use a $35 gallon paint where a $15 drywall primer will do? When I was contracting, I used a lot of Ben.Moore's Regal Wall Satin Flat Paint. It was also an excellent primer, but again cost was a factor. Although, sometimes the time savings was worth the additional cost, especially when a strong color was the finish coat. It saved the need to have a primer tinted down. Also, when a room requires about 1 1/2 gallons, it is easier to simply get 3 gallons of paint rather than 2 gallons of paint and two gallons of primer.

My position on priming was that it is never wrong to prime, but often it is overkill. It I were going over a good quality paint of a low sheen, I would simply go around twice with the paint to affect the neccessary strong color change.

Repainting is probably your best option. As other have said, make sure to only use high quality primers and interior paint. If it's possible, I would recommend hiring someone who knows what they're doing to paint for you. Ask around at your local hardware stores to find a reliable painter.

OK, what am I missing here?

The original poster is saying the paint on his/her drywall isn't sticking, and we're telling them to paint over it to get it to stick better? How does that happen? How is it possible to put something OVER her latex paint which will cause it to stick better to the drywall UNDER it?

Sorry, but I think the only way this situation can be fixed properly is for the original poster to s c r a p e away at every square foot of paint in his/her house to remove whatever comes off without putting up a respectable fight to stay on, and then reprime and repaint all of the drywall he/she exposes over again.

Faron: You said:
    You WILL have to use a "stabilizing" primer like Zinsser's Gardz that I mentioned. Its consistency is a little thinner, so it can penetrate porous/cheap paints, and bind them down.
    My understanding is that Gardz is intended to consolidate the loose fibers in drywall paper when the surface of the drywall has been damaged. I would be extremely sceptical that anything much larger than individual water molecules can pass through that existing coat of paint on the OP's walls.

Can you cite any credible o n l i n e web site or web pages that support your claim that Gardz can do what you claim?
    Last edited by Nestor; 07-04-2011 at 09:31 PM.