+ Reply to Thread

Default Interior door too small; horrible mistake

So I know this makes me completely stupid, and it's even hard to admit, but if there's a solution let me know.

I ordered a replacement interior bedroom door recently. I'm no tool guy so I found a place that would make the door to my frame's specifications. I thought I'd measured it time and again, but it arrived and my measurement was a quarter inch too narrow.

So the question: Am I just screwed or is there something I can do to put this up and have it still look somewhat decent? Maybe pad the side of the frame with a doorjamb or something?

Default Re: Interior door too small; horrible mistake

you can definitely beef up one side of the door jamb if your new door is too small. simply pop off the head and side casing on each side of the wall in the opening, then pop off the top and one side of the door stop, plant the new peice of door jamb on top of the old making sure its plumb,

from there get the door ripped to fit the new opening, from there hinge it, drill it out for the door handle and reinstall the door casing
    fire up the saw and make some dust

you could always skin the lock side of the jamb with 1/4 or 3/16 inch mullion strip ripped the same width as the jamb. You still will need to remove the casing on the side you skin and the head to cut it to the correct length.

I wouldnt advise skinning the hinge side of the jamb if your going to keep the hinges in the same location.
    Gizmo

Cut it 3 times & it's still to short.
    Inventor of the Miter Master Plus.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

very true, too much chance of the screws stripping out hte thin skin material, where as the latch side is only going to get a new 1" hole drilled to allow for the latch bolt
    fire up the saw and make some dust

A question, do you mean the door is " narrower than the opening or is it " narrower than the opening. Don't forget once installed you will have a 1/8" clearance on each side.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

I mean it is 1/4" narrower than the door it will be replacing.

If you told them you needed a door, say, 32" wide and they cut it for a 32" wide opening then it was their error and they need to make it right. If you measured the door and told them the the opening was that wide then it is your problem to solve. Follow suggestions above.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

If anything is going to be ordered incorrectly I will always bet my money it will be a door. Either the wrong swing, or you say you want a 24 and you get a 2-4 etc..

But regardless of the why, it's not a big deal and the suggestions above are simple for a good carpenter, but may not be for you.

Oh by the way, it's far from being a "horrible" mistake.