+ Reply to Thread

Default Attaching hood vent to cabinet

I bought an 18" cabinet to mount a hood vent on to. The guy in the store said that this is what these 18" cabinets are intended for, which seems logical. However, I'm noticing that the bottom of the cabinet has a skirt around it. My impression is that the hood vent needs to mount flush with the bottom of the cabinet. You put the screws in the bottom of the cabinet, raise the hood vent onto the screws then slide it back so that the screws are in the narrow end of the screw holes.
    Do I need to cut off the skirt on the bottom of the cabinet, or maybe do you normally install spacers under the cabinet first, or am just misunderstanding this altogether. I was also begining to wonder if the wood on the bottom is thick enough for the screws to get a good enough bite to hold the vent without them poking through to the inside of the cabinet. Hm, maybe I should go with adding the spacers for that reason. Any thoughts?
    The hood vent is a Broan QS230SS If that helps.
    Last edited by tea; 04-30-2011 at 03:49 PM. Reason: typo

Default Re: Attaching hood vent to cabinet

If the hood has keyhole-shape slots for the screws, adding blocking to the underside of the cabinet is a better solution than using really long screws. Besides, the bottom of the cabinet is only 1/2" thick, perhaps particle board; not optimal for the hood mounting screws. You will have to procure the correct thickness of padding to make a proper filler. Having a tablesaw is great, but a careful person could do it with a skilsaw, or a few layers of different thickness stuff, 3/4" pine + 1/4" plywood scraps sandwiched together. (This space is often 1") Attach the fillers with screws from inside the cabinet for a firm hold.
    Casey
    Remove not the ancient landmark, which your fathers have set.