+ Reply to Thread

Default Exterior Siding and roof colors

I am replacing vinyl siding in a sage green color with cream trim and cream or green shutters, we are also replacing roof, my problem is I want shingles which have more color choices. My husband wants a metal roof but I am unsure of the color since there are so few to choose from. What color do you think will be best with the green sage siding?? My instinct is the beige metal but it seems a bit bright. Any suggestions

Default Re: Exterior Siding and roof colors

personally i think beige roofing wouldnt look very good, it would draw attention away from the face of the house. i would go with a slightly darker color than the siding that compliments the sage
    fire up the saw and make some dust

Default Re: Exterior Siding and roof colors

How about getting a professional opinion from a decorator?
    A roof is an item you change very infrequently. You can go through 3 exterior paint jobs before you change 1 roof. So, a decorator's input could be useful.

Smile Re: Exterior Siding and roof colors

You could first start with home magazines, architectural books and regional magazines that show photos of home exteriors. Take a look at the color combinations that are appealing to you, and determine why you like them. It may be the siding color, or perhaps itís the facade, or you may find itís the landscaping really enjoy.

You could explore the color palettes put together by paint companies. A color expert has already put them together for you.

One of the simplest ways to get color ideas is to drive through your neighborhood, or a neighborhood in your area that you like their style. Check for homes that have the same roof color as yours and the same brick if you have any surfaces that you wonít be changing.

Finally, keep in mind that there is an order to how you select exterior colors (you wouldnít pick the shutter color before your siding, right?). The order goes pretty much from top to bottom: start with the roof, then siding, trim, windows, garage doors, and front doors.

There are some more tips on for choosing exterior color for your home from Progressive Foam Siding at progressivefoam.com. Hope this helps!

Smile Re: Exterior Siding and roof colors

for siding, get as large of a sample as you can (min 4'x4')and put it on all sides of the house to see how it looks in the various light/shadows.