+ Reply to Thread

Thread: wiring Problem

Default wiring Problem

How do I trace wiring from two different ceiling fixture to the light switch and service panel in my garage? Is there a device that I can rent/purchase like the one the telephone serviceman used to trace the phone wiring?

Thank You!

Default Re: wiring Problem

There are many different types of circuit tracers. I looked at BBS(big box stores) websites, and they have many around $45. I hope it works well for you. Although there is always the old practice (and probally frowned upon practice) of just grounding out the hot, and the tripped breaker is the one you are looking for. Wouldnt suggest that though. Good luck and be safe buddy.

Are you trying to figure which breaker controls the fixtures? couldn't you just through the switches and see which one turns off the lights?

Quote Originally Posted by ajbest View Post
    Are you trying to figure which breaker controls the fixtures? couldn't you just through the switches and see which one turns off the lights?
    That works fine and dandy until you kill the power to Grandpa's life support system

Whenever I am turning off a circuit to work on it, I will connect a lamp or something and make sure it works. Then, with someone (and walkie talkies if needed) watching, I will turn off breakers until they say it's off. Then I turn it on again and they say it's on... then off again and they say it off. The reason I do it twice is to make absolutely sure there wasn't something else strange happening at the same time.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.

Fencepost is correct.
    However, if you are working in a vacant house and you have no helpers to report to you that you hit the right breaker, you can turn the main off...