+ Reply to Thread

Default My yard is a swamp

Well. As the title states the yard is a swamp and though i may be large in size my name is not Shrek and i'm not a green Ogre. So here is the situation.

We set on a half acre at the bottom of a hill in a sub division outside of the city limits. From the top of the hill to the bottom i'm guessing there is probably 20+ feet of drop. So naturally we get the brunt of rain water run off. The back yard is where the worst of the problem is seeing as the front is taken care of by the county storm sewer fairly well. Also the swamp is at the lowest point of the property which is the south edge.

Our yard consists of a lot of clay. Though in the main spot where the water pools up i'm not really sure if there is a soil type or just a wet mix of run off. It's so wet that when you step down water is pushed up and displaced by your foot.

So what would be the best option to go with? I had two years of vocational school in highschool doing construction equipment work but we never done a lot of drainage work though i picked up general knowledge. So i got a general idea of how to implement the solution it's just a matter of finding the solution.

Also i'm in Northwest Ohio. If that helps at all on knowing what type of climate and soil i'm working with. I'll try and get some pictures up soon. Gotta wait for the rain to stop so i can go out and take some.

Default Re: My yard is a swamp

TD14:

This problem is often solved by building a CURTAIN DRAIN.

A curtain drain is a long crushed-stone filled trench that is shaped like an inverted "U" or like a horseshoe---there is usually a 4" perforated plastic pipe that is placed under the crushed stone to collect the water before it reaches your house, or the lower part of the property, & (in your case) should be able to be tied into the municipal storm drain system---textfile fabric is often put at the bottom, sides & top of the pit to encourage the runoff to drain into the perforated drain tile, & prevent fine clay particles from clogging the drain pipe over time; sometimes a boot of the same material is slipped over the pipe for the same purpose.

Since this type of drain can snake around the top part of your property from one side to the other, of the hill. it can extend from 30 to 50 feet, if not longer, and 2 to 3 feet deep; the plastic perforated drain tile at the lower vertical sides of the "horse shoe" can be constructed of solid piping, to connect to the municipal storm drain.

This would require a trenching machine or rental of a backhoe, plus a backfill of the crushed stone (rounded stone preferred by some).

Aside from digging the trench, this can be an entirely do-it-yourself project---some constuction equipment companies will rent you a small backhoe if you take a little training, many others won't (it can be dangerous)---you can always contract to have the trench dug, then do the rest of the work yourself.

Another problem can be getting the crushed stone dealer to dump the stone from his truck to where you need it---if they can't get the truck up the hill or near the trench, you will have to wheelbarrow it to all parts of the trench.

The idea is to "intercept" the water as it comes down the hill, allow it to collect at the bottom of the crushed stone, enter the perforated drain tile, & whisk it away to the storm drain, or a discharge outlet away from your property.

Google "curtain drain" to get numerous sites that show diagrams of these systems; also Google "curtain drain diagram", "curtain drain system", etc.

The author Tim Carver of "Ask the Builder" who is trained in this field, has a good article on this issue if you Google "curtain drain tips".

Also Google "soggy yard" for a more general discussion of water problems in yards.
    Last edited by dodsworth; 04-25-2011 at 11:04 PM.

Default Re: My yard is a swamp

Thanks for the input. I had that idea and thought it wouldn't work. Well my dad thought it wouldn't work simply because of the fact that the north end of the property is the high end has our gas line, electric,and cable vision ran under ground from the pole to the house. I'm pretty sure if we would get it marked by the number they have for utility marking we could dig on that side of the property and not have any issue provided everything is properly marked which i would make sure of. Atleast on the south edge we only gotta worry about the water line. As for the backhoe i know i can handle the digging, i have ran a CAT 315 Excavator doing both demolition and digging so i'm fairly well versed. I think i will probably opt for a tractor though with a loader on the front and a backhoe so i only have minimal physical labor. I have a bad back as it is so any little bit to save my back pain goes along way.

I really am gonna try and get pictures Wednesday so people can see what i'm working with. In my eyes it's a drainage nightmare most likely cause by a mixture of bad soil, bad grading work by the contractor back in the 70's when it was built, and living at the bottom of a hill.