+ Reply to Thread

Default PVC posts and railings

I have an exposed porch and the railings and wood trim around the posts rot out very quickly even after careful painting. I want to switch to PVC that I can paint and looks decent, almost like wood. Any suggestions?

Default Re: PVC posts and railings

Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Thanks Jack.

is your porch buildt with pressure treated, if your simply using normal kiln dried lumber its going to rot if left exposed to the elements.

all exterior wood should either be a species that is rot resistant like cedar or redwood, otherwise pressure treated
    fire up the saw and make some dust

Hi you can get the pvc that looks exactly like wood that you dont have to paint, and they also easy to work with

Hi , I am not going to pretend to be an expert by any means here, and for the short time I have browsed this forum it seems to be that any advise rendered leans towards the modern and cheap way of doing things vs the actual right way to do them. (Seems that the true questions about preservation go unanswered)

ANyway, if I may interject my take on your question along with my opinion. Why on earth would you want a PVC railing? Better yet, why would you wnat PVC anything? You want to replace your rotting wooden railing with a PVC substiute that "Looks" like wood? Pardon the pun here, but do you Also prefer women with breast implants and botox that "Look" attractive, over someone that actually is? lol. Ive seen the plastic railing you all are speaking of, and lets be honest, they look bad. wanna know why? because they are cheap! The same goes for your old wood railing. If it were built out of some real wood and prepared and preserved properly, well it probably would have lasted a bit linger. My uneducated guess is that it was probably made out of some crap from home depot.

My take on that would be, do yourself a favor, do it right. dont buy some toilet paper PVC piece of junk that looks cheap, feels cheap, sounds cheap, etc. What ever happened to the days when you wanted to make something that really lasted, have a railing that said "Hi" when you grabbed it. instead with your plastic one, it will sound more like you are gripping a balloon and it will feel like your holding pamela andersons fake breast in your hand. If thats your shtick, then by all means, but I would hope Id never get to the point that Im garnishing my properties with PVC and hollow junk thats made in a wok in china and sold for $2.50 at lowes

One more thing, if you have seen the recent ads for work clothes that you can buy broken in and distressed? Think it Dickies? they would go well with that railing, you can buy them frayed and beat up, put them on, lean up against your pvc railing, and in between the loud plastic creaks it makes fold your arms and boast to your neighbors about how much of a bear she was to get to sand to such a perfect finish
    Last edited by CAG; 04-24-2011 at 10:44 AM.

for the last poster, i understand where you are coming from. yes some pvc handrail systems are junk, i have worked with several versions some are higher end and are very strong.

what it comes down to is the grade of the metal that goes inside the top and bottom rail, low end versions simply get 2" steel stud track, the brand i work with quite often has a miniture i beam made of aircraft grade aluminum similar to what is used to construct a metal brake.

on another note, quit it with teh cursing this forum isnt for you to vent on. as of right now i have temporarily banned you if you keep it up you will be permanently banned

My apologies for the profanity, I didnt mean to come off as rude. If I offended anyone , please accept my apology. I would think that while there are plastic alternatives that many people opt for these days, a properly constructed railing made from a higher grade wood and with a little bit of effort put forth into it would fare much better than going the cheaper route. Most PVC railings that I have seen look terrible after a number of years and the do not fare well with the elements. UV breaks them down and they crack and get brittle and fade and just never look or feel right. If you have an old house that originally had a wood railing, i would think that keeping that look would serve the home owner better than something that was not in keeping with the period of the home

no worries, yes there are many different options of pvc handrail, myself personally im not wild about it either

what it comes down to is that society is into low maintenance products as people are gettin lazier and lazier when it comes to maintaining their homes. however at the same time the skill level carpenters are going down every day with more and more products that simply require opening hte box and driving a few screws as opposed to guys who can design and install a custom product