+ Reply to Thread

Default Lead in out soil

Since we have elevated levels of lead in our soil, I am building some raised beds. What should I do to prevent the lead from getting into our food supply? I was thinking that a good weed barrier and a couple inches of gravel (along with 7-10 inches of good soil) will do the trick. Are there other recommendations?

Default Re: Lead in out soil

Mark-
    I am in the same boat as you with a new house with high lead levels in the soil. I came across a website that recommended concrete or plastic between the new clean soil and old contaminated soil. My question is, how do I get good drainage? Won't I get water pooling at the bottom of the bed?

Default Re: Lead in our soil

I dug down about 3 inches, put a weed barrier down along with a metal mesh screen (as we have a seasonal problem with moles). I then put about 3 inches of river stone down for drainage and then another layer of the weed barrier. My new raised bed sits on top of that. I then filled the bed with 12 inches of soil. I figured that most of what I intend to plant will need less than 8 to 10 inches so I fgured it would be okay