+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: laundry room circuit

Jack I think we all agree a GFCI is not required for the washer but receptacles within 6 ft of a sinks edge do need GFCI protection, which could pose a problem if a washer were placed close to a sink and the standard receptacle location was not carefully thought out.

Your comment about capacitive start motor got me wondering if you've seen or heard these are a problem on GFCI circuits and it's something I should consider, in the future.

Installing a a future 10-3 circuit is a smart move.

Good Luck from Wilsonville, Alabama
    Maurice Turgeon, http://thesemi-retiredelectrician

A refrigerator receptacles can be close to a sink and are not required to be GFCI. The laundry outlet is suppose to be a dedicated outlet, it is exempt form GFCI for mobile homes, and the wording of the residential code is vague.

The nature of a capacitor is to absorb the current until fully charged and then pass current through. This cause a time delay between current flow on the one lead and the second, it also discharges when the current reverses which causes more current on the output leg than the input leg and can cause GFCI's to trip. I believe it is the cause of many unexplained trips.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

I would think Xc would be compensated for in a GFCI, but haven't checked out the circutry yet.

I went on-line and googled "GFCI,capacitor start motor" and got thousands of hits. I did see where the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission recalled about 13,000 Spas (MAAX Spas) they cited bad motor capacitors were afire hazard. On ElectricalKnowledge Archives one of the spa users said a leaky capacitor tripped the GFCI on his unit.

I looked at eight pages of hits, before I quit looking, and couldn't find any legitimate complaints.

Just wondering if you did.

Maurice

Let me add to Jack's remark about running a circuit for a potential future electric dryer: even if you will never use it, it will be a good selling point. Buyers like to have options.