+ Reply to Thread

Question Marble countertops in kitchen?

I am in the process of remodeling my kitchen and was going to go with granite countertops until I saw a picture of a kitchen with white marble countertops. I have been advised by one of the big box stores that marble is a bad idea and that I should use a dolomitic stone. I have performed a little research and it seems that dolomite is a type of marble with a lot of the same characteristics. I do not mind the weathered and used look of marble countertops as I have seen quite a few in Europe. I understand that you have to "impregnate" the marble to seal and protect it, as with Dolomite as well. Does anyone have any positives or negatives towards marble countertops? I am very new to this and any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Default Re: Marble countertops in kitchen?

the white marble will be sesseptible to stains, like red wine, etc. its also mutch easier to scratch than granite.
    HOPE THIS IS HELPFUL!

Oklahoma City, OK

if you have seen several in europe you know that the aged patina as well as stains are not only normal with marble but seen as added character. it is all in view point.

Because of it's extremely high price tag, marble is not often seen on the countertops of whole kitchens. To get the luxurious look, use it on an island or inset at a baking center. Marble requires constant maintenance, as it easily stains. Some new sealers retard staining. But the good thing is, it is waterproof, heatproof and beautiful. Marble is softer and more pourous than granite. This makes it susceptible to scratches, pitting, cracks, stains, and even dulling of the shine. It may take a little more maintenance and upkeep to keep your marble looking nice. We also use Marble Countertops at home and so far, so good. It was truly elegant and so awesome.
    Last edited by An72; 12-21-2010 at 09:08 PM.

A lot of designers are now using the white marble you referenced for their designer kitchens. It has a beautiful and sophisticated look to it. It's our next choice!
    Randy Tibbetts
    Hidden Content