+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Question fancy casings on door openings in foyer

My husband and I are building a new house, with foyer, dining room to the side, and entering a great room from foyer. Can I use "fancy casings" on the door opening to dining room and great room. I would like to dress up these casings, but dont want to do all door openings. Will this look ok??

Default Re: fancy casings on door openings in foyer

Yes, you can, but IMHO they should be "specimen" pieces, meaning that they should be significantly larger with more elegant profiling than those of the rest of the house. I would recommend looking for images of casings and profiles that fit what you're thinking. Another option would be to do one of the doors to get a feel of how the area will look and if it is compatible with the architecture and stylings of the rest of the house.

You can but I'd choose a style that lends itself the chance to be riffed off of..in other words to be able to take a part of that same profile and incorporate it into the rest of the house so it feels a part of the same design just toned down some.
    I hate seeing mush mosh designs throughout a house because the person that designs it sees something in a magazine and they HAVE TO have that,,,,even if it doesn't flow with everything else.
    Has to have good feng shui...the energy needs to flow throughout.Blend together.
    Hidden Content
    ॐשָׁלו

singgosp, sure you can. use a larger molding, how about the greek revival one. it is 3 1/2 or 3 1/4 and has a nice edge around it. most hd and lowes carry it. also another option is to look at mag or another book trimwork 1001 has some great pic and ideas for you. then make sure that the carpenter does it right

I think you could go with larger moudlings, but be careful not to French it up too much. The other poster is right -- it would look helter skelter with the rest of the house. I warn you though; if you do it in the entry, you'll want to do it in the rest of the house. You've been duly warned.