+ Reply to Thread

Default Clogged Tub Drain

Hi All,

I have had a slow draining tub for a few weeks now. I finally got the time to take a look at what was going on but I've only managed to make the problem worse. I unscrewed the screen from the tub drain, and there was a whole lot of hair and nastiness that was caught on the cross-section of the drain opening. After I pulled all of this out I should have called it a day but I decided that since I had my drum auger next to me, why not run the snake down and clean out anything that may be left. I worked the snake as far as I could and when I pulled it up nothing came up, so I turned on the water to test it out and the water was just barely draining. The drain went from a slow drain to a trickle drain. I'm not sure what I did but everything I tried wouldn't get the drainage going again. I also tried removing the overflow plate and the stopper and snaking the drain from there with no success.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Default Re: Clogged Tub Drain

Snaking from the overflow is the way to do it. But it will take a power snake to get through the trap. You can try a plunger but you have to plug the overflow with a rage to get enough force to move the stoppage. If the stoppage is beyond the vent than a snake is the only way to clear it.

John

Thanks for your reply. Would I have caused a problem with the drain by snaking it through the drain instead of the overflow first?

That's hard to say. I think what happened is you moved the stoppage down the line a little further. The main reason not to snake it from the drain opening is you have a good chance of getting the snake stuck.

John
    Last edited by johnjh2o; 04-26-2011 at 08:59 PM.

That did the trick! Thanks a lot for your help.

Glad it did the trick for you. There is nothing more frustrating that a slow draining tub!

Got to hate slow draining tubs!!! I did this in my house a year or so ago. In the end I found that I did cause the drain flow to worsen by using the snake. It basically took a clog that was spread across a few feet and condensed it into a few inches. In the end I had to use a chemical to open the thing again.

It sounds like you pushed the clog further down. If you are using a manual hand snake chances are you are not going far enough down the drain. You will need an electric snake, snaked up to 25 feet. If you don't have one i would recommend calling a plumber.

Good Luck!
    Last edited by JLMCDANIEL; 04-30-2011 at 08:13 PM. Reason: User violation

Several of us have long hair and our tub drains always clogs up. If you remember to clean the screen every week or so, it helps. The problem is remembering to do it!