+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question 120 volt power sometimes

I installed a 120v receptacle in my pool area off a dedicated GFI breaker.

When I plug in a 2 prong drop light it turns on.

When I plug in a 3 prong submersible pump to pump off my pool cover - nothing. It is not tripping the breaker. I plug in the pump in my garage - OK.

Any ideas?

Default Re: 120 volt power sometimes

Rg when you plug the pump into a garage receptacle it is probably in a horizontal position. When used on the pool cover it's probably vertical.

I suspect the pump has a built-in float switch which is cutting off electricity because it thinks the pump is dry.

Good Luck from Wilsonville, Alabama
    Maurice Turgeon, http://thesemi-retiredelectrician.com

Thanks, Maurice.

I think I'll try a couple of other three prong appliances on this receptacle to see what happens.

OK

This gets more wierd.

Following Maurice's suggestion I tried the pump at both the pool and garage receptacles, by holding the pump vertical and horizontal. No change. It obviously does not have a "float switch".

Then I thought I probably have a "load" issue. I checked the pump and it draws 12 amps. I found a circular saw that draws 12.8 amps and plugged it into the pool receptacle. Worked fine!

I'm still at a loss.

Any advice would help.

Just courious about this. Do you have one of those $4 plug testers that have the three lights on it? It tells you if all the connections are ok. I would like to see you plug one of those in there and see what happens. Thanks. Be safe and good luck

Most motors have a small amount of ground leakage, my guess is that your submersible pump exceeds that allowed by the GFCI.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Also does your gfci trip when you hit the test button, basiclly where i am going with this is polarity. I believe it is possiable with your pump obviously being a motor if there is a problem with your hot and neutral reversed. Good luck and be safe greg

Quote Originally Posted by Edgeking View Post
    Also does your gfci trip when you hit the test button, basiclly where i am going with this is polarity. I believe it is possiable with your pump obviously being a motor if there is a problem with your hot and neutral reversed. Good luck and be safe greg
    You'll have to explain this. Ground is not used in the GFCI circuit, so if reverse polarity causes the problem it would also happen with a 2 pronged plug as well. The sensing is between the two AC leads so there is no real polarity involved.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Well with a 2 prong outlet like a light it doesnt matter what is hot and what is neutral it will work. So it would not matter the hot and neutral and would work in a reversed polarity receptacle. Just the socket would be hot and not the base. I was think as far as the motor is concerned i was thinking of rotation. You are right though with it being a single phase motor on a 120 v circuit. I am used to 3 phase and rotation and phaseing. So it may not affect it

The pump has moisture in it, probably in the float switch.
    "Lead by Example"