+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Question 120 volt power sometimes

I installed a 120v receptacle in my pool area off a dedicated GFI breaker.

When I plug in a 2 prong drop light it turns on.

When I plug in a 3 prong submersible pump to pump off my pool cover - nothing. It is not tripping the breaker. I plug in the pump in my garage - OK.

Any ideas?

Default Re: 120 volt power sometimes

Rg when you plug the pump into a garage receptacle it is probably in a horizontal position. When used on the pool cover it's probably vertical.

I suspect the pump has a built-in float switch which is cutting off electricity because it thinks the pump is dry.

Good Luck from Wilsonville, Alabama
    Maurice Turgeon, http://thesemi-retiredelectrician.com

Thanks, Maurice.

I think I'll try a couple of other three prong appliances on this receptacle to see what happens.

OK

This gets more wierd.

Following Maurice's suggestion I tried the pump at both the pool and garage receptacles, by holding the pump vertical and horizontal. No change. It obviously does not have a "float switch".

Then I thought I probably have a "load" issue. I checked the pump and it draws 12 amps. I found a circular saw that draws 12.8 amps and plugged it into the pool receptacle. Worked fine!

I'm still at a loss.

Any advice would help.

Just courious about this. Do you have one of those $4 plug testers that have the three lights on it? It tells you if all the connections are ok. I would like to see you plug one of those in there and see what happens. Thanks. Be safe and good luck

Most motors have a small amount of ground leakage, my guess is that your submersible pump exceeds that allowed by the GFCI.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Also does your gfci trip when you hit the test button, basiclly where i am going with this is polarity. I believe it is possiable with your pump obviously being a motor if there is a problem with your hot and neutral reversed. Good luck and be safe greg