+ Reply to Thread

Question Motion Switch and Dimmer on a 3-way - can it be done?

I have a 3-way switched set of lights (line-voltage incandescents) and one of the 3-way switches has a dimmer on it.

I would like to replace the non-dimmer 3-way with a occupancy sensor switch. My goal would be to have the lights turn on when I walk in (so not the Manual-On type) / off when I leave and have the brightness controlled by the other switch.

Can this be done?

I have two issues:

1. I can't seem to find the right product... Leviton has a Manual-On motion sensor that supports 3-way, but their Occupancy sensor appears to be 2-way only. Anyone know the Leviton or Lutron model number that this would work with?

2. Is the dimmer going to confuse the circuitry in the motion sensor switch?

Default Re: Motion Switch and Dimmer on a 3-way - can it be done?

there are a lot of products out there, and by all means i do not stay up with the latest and greatest like maybe i should. as far as to answer your question, and i am sure this will be picked apart on here by people with more residentual experience and we will both learn from that, but i would wire the switches in series with one another. that would work as long as you dont mind losing your 3 way switching capabilities. you should not have to run any additional wiring. and all it will cost you is a single pole dimmer. good luck and be safe buddy

Hello brettmarl --- hopefully the basement remodle is going well.

I'm thinking the Leviton Vizia dimmer and the IPP0R sensor should do nicely.
    check this link http://www.levitonproducts.com/catal...FB9BF&pid=1208
    open the product brochure PDF --- scroll down to the section that mentions the above combination and see if it suits your needs.
    Note the part about controlling the full bright feature from either switch location.

However, these switches require a neutral connection --- unlike conventional switch wiring.

Cheers
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

thanks canuk - figured you'd reply

i'll check out the link you sent - thanks.

yeah - basement is all done as of about 18mo ago, pictures here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/motions...th/4235403823/

heck, i've done a kitchen remodel and had a second kid since then - keep up will ya...

admittedly I called in the Pro's to do the kitchen. A year working on a basement where I could close the door on it and leave it in a mess at night, wasn't going to fly with wife in our main cooking area.

check out the steel doors in the basement pics though - i had a local welder build them for me - they are pretty unique

18 mo ago ?!?!?!? -- geez --- time flys
    Man -- you've been busy -- knudge , knudge , wink , wink

Found another unit by Lutron that's worth checking --- offers auto-on sensor dimmer all in one --- Maestro model # MS- OP600M

http://www.lutron.com/Products/Senso...es/Models.aspx

Hopefully it helps.
    - Rush

i looked at the Lutron ones, but a big complaint is that the auto-on feature triggers on motion only and does not respect ambient light. seems silly to have a energy-saving motion switch that turns the lights on in the day for me!!

Two problems with what you want to do 1] you will need neutral at the OS and 2] if both are solid state you often run into problems with leakage between one unit and the other.

I agree with Edgeking, the best way would be to have the OS in series with a dimmer switch. It may even require having the OS operate a relay to turn elect on and off to dimmer.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by brettmarl View Post
    i looked at the Lutron ones, but a big complaint is that the auto-on feature triggers on motion only and does not respect ambient light. seems silly to have a energy-saving motion switch that turns the lights on in the day for me!!
    Good point regarding the ambient light sensing. I admit not really paying too much attention to that detail rather it was more of a concern of finding the stand alone components to meet your 3-way requiremnet. That's where the challenge lies -- finding companion switches to work properly in that arrangement.

It might be worth calling the toll free # to both Leviton and Lutron to speak with a customer service rep to find which of their products would be best suited for your application.

As for the basement --- very nice -- you should be quite proud --- good stuff.

I like the doors , indeed unique , and I'm sure the pictures don't do them justice -- they look great. Clever use of the panels giving the options of seperate or open spaces.
    - Rush

Guys, I've been following the posts & links and even called Leviton and other manufacturers, since I too would like to know if it can be done.

So far I've come up with dead ends for the same reasons mentioned. As soon as title 24 is mentioned (California) lack of the Auto-On feature kicks out the product. They don't mind if you enter the room and it stays dark unless you manually turn them on.

Leviton's OSSMT-GDx looks like it may work..Auto-On, no neutral req., incandescent up to 880W at 120V, flourescent up to 1200 VA at 120V, 3 way per Leviton rep, but not according to the data sheet. Also, it can't dim by itself. If the wiring lends itself it possibly could be wire with a dimmer, since it seems to have a relay output, not a TRIAC.

All the other specs. look great, ultrasonic motion detection,ambient light sensor, adjustable blinders, automatic sensitivity adjustment, Zero-Crossover relay.

Good Luck from Wilsonville, Alabama
    Maurice Turgeon, http://thesemi-retiredelectrician