+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Bathtub

Default Bathtub

How can you tell if your tub is made of enameled cast iron or enameled steel?

Default Re: Bathtub

Tap it, if it makes a tinie sound it's steel, if it makes clunk sound it's cast.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by JLMCDANIEL View Post
    Tap it, if it makes a tinie sound it's steel, if it makes clunk sound it's cast.

Jack
    Is it the only method?? Which one is better and why??

Remove the overflow plate. Then look at the thickness of the tub. A cast iron tub will be about 3/8" or more. A steel tub will be about 1/8" thick. Cast iron is much better as steel tends to rust out in a shorter period of time as compared to cast iron. Steel also will chip much easier then cast iron.

John

I disagree; when it comes to bathtubs steel with an elastomeric coating is the modern & best way to go as far as weight, installation, cost & other factors.

Cast iron is now old hat in bathtub installations.

Try taking out an old CI tub, then trying to reinstall a new cast iron unit---you'll end up with 3 hernies and paying lots more for your pains.

In my installation experiences there is no chipping or "tinny" sound; the installation is so much easier, and the appearence of these new units is outstanding, at a much less expensive cost.
    Last edited by Pelton; 04-22-2011 at 07:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelton View Post
    I disagree; when it comes to bathtubs steel with an elastomeric coating is the modern & best way to go as far as weight, installation, cost & other factors.

Try taking out an old CI tub, then trying to reinstall a new cast iron unit---you'll end up with 3 hernies and paying lots more for your pains.

In my installation experiences there is no chipping or "tinny" sound; the installation is so much easier, and the appearence of these new units is outstanding, at a much less expensive cost.
    I thought the question was how to tell the difference between steel and cast iron. You're talking about the American Standard Americast tub. I have installed at least 400 cast iron tubs and have not suffered with any hernia's. As far as chipping I'll take cast iron any day over porcelain steel.

John

Quote Originally Posted by johnjh2o View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelton View Post
    Originally Posted by Pelton View Post

I thought the question was how to tell the difference between steel and cast iron. You're talking about the American Standard Americast tub. I have installed at least 400 cast iron tubs and have not suffered with any hernia's. As far as chipping I'll take cast iron any day over porcelain steel.
    John
    I'm now confused, which one is better as I don't have any experience with bathtub and I'm planning to have one.

Cast iron is vastly superior to the really awful Americast rubbish.
    I have been fooled twice with that truly abominable c r a p and believe me, I won't get fooled again.
    Casey
    Remove not the ancient landmark, which your fathers have set.

Thanks. I think now I can decide.