+ Reply to Thread

Default adding color pigment

i have several cans of various shades of white paint laying around. i'd like to mix them all together and tint the paint slightly to paint the basement. i'm having trouble finding pigments or tints to add to the white paint. lowe's and sherwin williams are no help. any ideas on locating some pigment to add to my white paint?

Default Re: adding color pigment

First, you don't want to mix different sheens or you'll wind up with something that can't be duplicated later should you need more of it. Preferably the paint would be the same brand as well, but at the very least it should be the same sheen.

If you can't get a paint dealer to give you a few drops of several colorants in your own containers, then contact painting contractors that have the ability to custom mix paint. You may be able to negotiate with them to tint your paint for a small fee.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

CXM,

Any paint store that deals with professional painters will have "universal tints" for sale. They usually come in pint bottles and the general darkening tints such as raw umber are not too expensive. But Spruce is right, most dealers would squirt you a couple ounces for good will, especially if you buy the 5 gallon bucket to mix the paint in from him.

Another thought is to buy an inexpensive single gallon of a pastel or deeper base paint and request that they shoot 3,4,5 times the tint required for color you want to end up with. The number of times to shoot the formula depends on how much paint you will be mixing it into.Your best bet might be to shoot into a "deep" base paint which has no white pigment in it. Such a base can accept about 15 ounces of tint. It you are trying to deepen the white paint you have, the deep base will help you obtain that color ( you cannot obtain too strong a color from white paint as it has too much white pigment to overcome).

Most paints nowadays are variations of acrylic resins and are quite compatible, not like the old days when "latex" paints really had latex (natural rubber) in them. If you mixed a latex with an acrylic type paint back then, you would end up with a bucket of cottage cheese! "Latex" has come to be a generic term for a paint which is water soluable. To my knowledge, there are no longer any real latex paints on the market.

I assume you are talking about painting the concrete walls in your basement. If you have not had problems with moisture seepage or efforvesence, you should have no problems going over the concrete. Its amazing how much better a dungeon like basement looks with just some white walls and bigger light bulbs!

thanks for the advice guys. none of the big box stores or local paint specialty stores had any universal tints or seemed to be eager to offer a few squirts, i was surprised. as this is the basement, i'm not too interested in contacting contractors to get a custom mix, i'm just trying to brighten and clean it up a bit. i just thought it would be a little easier to secure some color pigment. i dumped all the paint together last night and was successful. i did mix sheens, but am not worried about duplicating it since I have about 4.5 gallons and it's just the basement. i've ended up with a cream/offwhite shade, luckily no cottage cheese. would've liked to add a little color but this will definitely be an improvement.