+ Reply to Thread

Default Previously Painted Walls

The walls of my house have been painted with semigloss latex.I would like to change the color.Can the walls be painted over with a different color latex in a flat finish.

Default Re: Previously Painted Walls

absolutely, just make sure to sc**** any flaking paint, lightly sand the walls and wipe them down with a tack-rag or damp cloth first.

Wash them down with a TSP solution, rinse well, allow to dry fully. The TSP will lightly etch the surface of the semi-gloss so that your new top coat will adhere better. It's also important to remove any greasy grime from hand prints and pets (wall corners that get touched all the time ).
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Thanks for the answers.I have a touch of emphysema so I am afraid to sand or use chemicals like TSP.Is it ok to wash them down lightly with damp cloth only.

I would say no because it's important to clean and etch the surface, TSP does both. A Tri Sodium Phosphate solution shouldn't mess with your emphysema, but check with your doctor first. I would also have to say that if you're afraid that you'll have problems with TSP, then you should be more concerned of what the odor of fresh paint is going to do. Even low VOC paints have a pretty strong odor to them that will last for several days to weeks, depending on the environment and drying conditions.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Tggringo,

Personally, since this is a latex paint you are covering, rather than a hard, slick oil, and you wish to change the color, I would simply prime the walls first with a premium acrylic primer such as Gripper by Glidden or Behr's N0.75 Undercoater. Both will grip tenaciously. I wouldn't bother with a general TSP cleaning, but rather spot clean, particularly dirty or oily areas such as around light switches. Were this an oil paint, the TSP and sanding would be advisable. In fact, if I were covering oil paint, I would stick with oil paint and avoid the adhesion problems of latex over oil. Also, latex paint is rather difficult to sand as its gummy quality rapidly clogs sandpaper. It does not dust up and dull as does oil paint.

Priming also aids in the color transition. You would be well advised to have the paint store tint your primer close to the finish color. It will greatly enhance both cover ability and the quality of the finish color. It may sometimes be overkill,
    but IT IS NEVER WRONG TO PRIME!

Smile Re: Previously Painted Walls

Thank you gentlemen for your reply.I will take your advice and tint the primer.That makes good sense.Again I thank you all.