+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Stair safety

Default Stair safety

We moved into a two story cape about a year ago, and immediately removed the dingy looking carpet runner on the stairs that led to the second floor. My concern lies with the fact that the exposed hardwood stairs (which LOOK great) are a bit of a safety hazard. We have a baby on the way, and walking down the stairs with our little bundle of joy has me concerned. Is there anything we can do to make the stairs a little safer? Is adding the runner back our best bet?

Any and all suggestions are welcomed!

Default Re: Stair safety

a runner is my first choice, but if you don't want to take that route and you're worried about slipping on them, there are a few options. one is a thick plastic tread cover that's tacked to each tread so the damage when you remove it is minimal. another is antiskid tape made by 3M and sold at lowes and home depot. you cut it to length and put it where you need it, only problem is that when you remove it, you'll probably have to have the stairs refinished. another option is to have a rug place make you binded stair tread covers. it's essentially small sections of carpeting that cover part of each tread, and again, it's tacked down so it's easy to remove.

Default Re: Stair safety

Of all MLBSF's choices, I'd vote for the stair runner. It'll look the best and be the most serviceable. With kids and adults carrying kids around stairs, you just have to be careful, no matter what surface you have.

With bare treads that are just varnished or painted, it'll be like ice if you're just wearing socks and around my house, that happens. You'll have to put something on the steps.

Good Luck.