+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Backyard Bridge

Hybrid View

Default Backyard Bridge

Hi:

new poster and member - I would like to make a simple wooden bridge to span a creek behind my house. Does anyone have any suggestions as to where I can find plans and specs? I have limited experience, but I am willing to give it a shot?

thanks
    stuckinnj

Default Re: Backyard Bridge

I hate to take the wind out of your sails, but this "simple" bridge may be more complex than you think.

Finding plans and actually building the bridge shouldn't be hard, but the Government can make these kinds of projects administratively prohibitive.

Consider that in many areas of the country, structures such as this require a building permit. In order to receive a building permit, you may be required to submit engineered plans.

Since you are spanning a creek, there may be environmental regulations applied. You might have to get a permit to work in a "riparian habitat" or whatever they call it.

I'm all for just going ahead and doing it and not telling anybody -- I think government is far too overbearing on private property rights and doesn't consider things in practical terms -- but I just wanted warn you of the possible things you can run into. The cost of complying with red tape and paperwork can far exceed the construction cost of the project.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.

How wide is the creek?
    Is the bridge utilitarian or both useful and decorative?
    What kind of traffic (foot, bike, atv, animal, vehicle ... ) ?
    Are you in a rural or urban setting?
    Is the creek completely on your property or will the bridge be accessing other property?
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

-creek is about two feet wide at best, generally trickles but -for rain storms, then can flow pretty good
    -foot traffic only
    -will use it to walk across - no vehicles
    -rural enough - back of my property
    -only my property on both sides

town shouldnt know or care, just wanted a little project so the kids could go over the creek and go up the hill to the neighbors house

was even thinking of little suspension bridge (two posts either side, connect bottom of fence to bottom cable - not sure exactly how, but fun in principal)

was checking for ideas ****** nice that some want me to pay for plans, way to cheap for that, could buy a bridge for 1500, where's the fun in that.

would love to find a schematic or other DIY plan.
    stuckinnj

-creek is about two feet wide at best, generally trickles but -for rain storms, then can flow pretty good
    -foot traffic only
    -will use it to walk across - no vehicles
    -rural enough - back of my property
    -only my property on both sides

town shouldnt know or care, just wanted a little project so the kids could go over the creek and go up the hill to the neighbors house

was even thinking of little suspension bridge (two posts either side, connect bottom of bridge to bottom cable - not sure exactly how, but fun in principal)

was checking for ideas ****** nice that some want me to pay for plans, way to cheap for that, could buy a bridge for 1500, where's the fun in that.

would love to find a schematic or other DIY plan.
    stuckinnj

whoops, sorry for duplicate post

Next time you're at the yard and garden store, look at what decorative bridges they have. Landscape suppliers and nurseries would also likely have such things. You should also be able to find quite a few things ****** to your liking. Take those pictures and build yourself a bridge.

This is one that I found at a local nursery. I took this pic for reference, a couple measurements and in an afternoon I had one of my own. The only difference was that I used a larger member for the stringer and added the portion I cut from the bottom to the top to beef up the bridge. I built a total of 3 and they were all 3' wide and 6' long. They're all still in service as landscape decorations and other than a little weathering look just as great as the day they were built.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	p0000187.jpg 
Views:	191 
Size:	35.2 KB 
ID:	2310  
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

fyi:

found this website with links to several sets of plans for different bridges - http://www.backyardspaces.com/bridge.html

will figure it out.
    thanks
    stuckinnj

Check out the Lava Canyon Suspension Bridge. Might give you some ideas.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.