+ Reply to Thread

Question Isolator getting hot

I have installed a capacitor bank of 175 kva to correct the power factor.I have connected the load of 260 amps(for Capacitor bank) from a 400amps isolator, but now that isolator is getting hot. here the ambient temp. is 38 now. next couple of months it will be 55 degrees. I don't know why the isolator is getting hot? pls help me.

Default Re: Isolator getting hot

Quote Originally Posted by rajrama34 View Post
    I have installed a capacitor bank of 175 kva to correct the power factor.I have connected the load of 260 amps(for Capacitor bank) from a 400amps isolator, but now that isolator is getting hot. here the ambient temp. is 38 now. next couple of months it will be 55 degrees. I don't know why the isolator is getting hot? pls help me.
    Way beyond the scope of the home DIY stuff on this forum --- call in a professional electrician.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

Default Re: Isolator getting hot

Although the 400A switch should handle the 260A load if the switch is in direct sunlight or near other heat sources you may want to install a sunshade and paint the box a light color.

Also, using a digital IR thermometer check the temperature of the components in the isolator assembly, particularly the terminations (may need to be re-torqued)and switch mechanism.

If need be, install a fan or vortex cooler (if you have 100 PSI air available) to drop the temperature.

Good luck from Wilsonville, Alabama
    Maurice Turgeon [URL="http://thesemi-retiredelectrician.com"]http://thesemi-retiredelectrician.com[/URL