+ Reply to Thread

Default odor in bathroom

A couple of months ago we started noticing a sweet/musky smell in our powder room. It is worse on warm/sunny days. The entire room is filled with this smell. It is hard to locate it's origins. Called the plumber and he suggested pouring bleach down the sink drain thinking bacteria. (We do not see any leaking around the toilet). That worked temporarily or it masked the problem as the bathroom smelled like bleach for quite a while. A week or so after pouring the bleach, the smell started to come back. We are also noticing it in our other bathroom on the opposite side of the house. Both of these bathrooms are on the main floor. We do not notice the smell upstairs or in the basement bathrooms. The plumber is coming on Monday and I want to be prepared to ask the right questions.

Default Re: odor in bathroom

I'd check a few things;

1- Sometimes there builds up a gelatinous goop in the traps. It can remain there for quite a long while. Not sure where it comes from, but once there you have to treat all the drains repeatedly until its gone. The again occasionally re-treat to keep it away or at bay.

2- Remove the toilets and flip them over. Sometimes condensation builds under the bowl. Rarely bowls leak.

Thank you for your response. Would it be normal to have this goop build up in some but not all sinks? I have put bleach down the powder room sink 3 separate times in the past two and half weeks. I do not like the idea of having to keep doing that. Can't be good for the environment.

It spreads from sink to sink, like a disease. Its more common where there is a food source for the goo. Running the water longer after using the sink after brushing your teeth for example.

Drain cleaner is more likely to get rid of anything in the trap. Don't mix with bleach. Pulling the stopper and looking with a flashlight should allow you to see if anything is in there.
    If you've done any plumbing work recently, check to be sure there isn't a small leak that is getting into the subfloor & causing rot. Is water staying in the traps? If not you may have a clogged vent.

You might need to constantly disinfect the room and the drainage. Or you can mask the smell by buying bathroom oil scents.

Quote Originally Posted by poifiction23 View Post
    You might need to constantly disinfect the room and the drainage. Or you can mask the smell by buying bathroom oil scents.
    It's true. Sometimes if there comes a change in the use bathroom, it may produce odor. We need to change the drainage and disinfection procedures accordingly.

My baby girl has come to this world 3-4 weeks back. As new member came, our way of using our bathroom changed. Initially we didn't noticed or you can say didn't pay attention to the matter.... We had to do some quick washing of wet and soiled clothes frequently. 1-2 weeks after we started doing this.... bad odor started to develop. First I couldn't understand what has happened. But after a deep thinking I've found that, we're using our bathroom differently. So we need to treat it differently. Now it has become same as before....

Hope my experience may help you.....

sohel

Similar issue at my house. I found that the seal on my toilet drain had worn. Check if you have any movement/rock in your toilet. If so you will want to replace toe wax ring that seals the drain.