+ Reply to Thread

Default ledger board on a brick home

hello, im going to build a new front porch and it will be less then 2 feet off the ground. My house is brick whats the proper way to go about this?? Do I build it free standing or can I use bolts through the brick and attach it to the rim joice? please help!! :0

Default Re: ledger board on a brick home

yes you can drill through the brick. although i wouldnt drill right through the brick, the mortar joint is a better spot to go through.

if you can get access to the rim joist from the basment, carriage bolts would be a better option than lag bolts
    fire up the saw and make some dust

Default Re: ledger board on a brick home

Quote Originally Posted by xjeeprubicon59 View Post
    hello, im going to build a new front porch and it will be less then 2 feet off the ground. My house is brick whats the proper way to go about this?? Do I build it free standing or can I use bolts through the brick and attach it to the rim joice? please help!! :0
    You can do it free standing no problem since it will be less than 2 feet off the ground and there's a good chance you won't need a permit ( check first though ) . If you go free standing there won't be considerations of water intrusion compared to attaching the deck.

If you go attached then jkirk's method is the way --- also check to see if a permit is required since the deck will be attached.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush