+ Reply to Thread

Cool New Bath Fan, Access Denied!

Hi, Im in the high desert area just outside Los Angeles Ca. I want to install some ventilation fans in the two Bathrooms that dont have em. While having the roof redone, I had the guys install vent caps and cut holes in the sheating where I wanted the fans. The roof is a scissor truss structure and no access to the attic space is possible....
    Q: Is there a ventilation fan available that can be installed completely from the inside of the living space? The trusses are 24" OC and Electricle is in place via the light. I mean without having to patch an access hole in the Drywall.
    I kind of want to do the same thing with a whole house fan..

Default Re: New Bath Fan, Access Denied!

We do this commonly.

The trick is to select a quiet vent that has small nail flanges that can be cut off or bent over. Its very helpful if the vent cover is much larger than the cut out of the vent, or the size of the hole you have to cut. The vent tube sticking out of the side of the vent housing makes sliding the vent housing into place a bit tricky, so some forethought has to go into how and where to cut the hole so the vent tube gets connected and gets slid into place first.

Certainly doable.

Thanks Houston R.
    so I would then attach the housing too one side from inside and it will be fine?
    I think ill have to go look at a new Fan again with this information in mind..

We add a block or 2 of wood inside the attic space secured to the drywall with screws and some adhesive such as PL Premium. Those blocks are used to secure the vent housing, by driving screws through the housing into the blocks.

Very Clear on it now. Thanks a lot Houston. That clears up all of my questions. I can make that happen.