+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Default 150 year old Acadian House

I am planning to invest in an old house. It is just a shell. 820sq ft. Only walls, floors & attic. (The garconniere was never finished - the outside stair removed) The inside is mostly cypress. My question: To make it livable, in a simple manner: what is your opinion in cost per sq ft. I do understand this will by only a vague estimate.
    Thanks & Peace today,
    V

Default Re: 150 year old Acadian House

Depending on what's required and/or what you want done .... you could be looking in the range of $50 - $100 /sq ft.

Hope this helps.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

Thank you canuk.....! In your opinion - should the floors be insulated via under the house? Apparently there are schools of thought that differ on this. Too much insulation will cause the floors to rot? I do not plan to cover the pine floors at all - just paint or clear coat w/ the occasional rug. (the attic floor will be insulatd with batts, (thus the ceiling) and the outside walls blown in. It is thought that those old cypress houses need to breathe.
    Thanks & Peace today,

I also have a 120 year old acadian house. I am having trouble finding what paint colors to chose for the outside. Any suggestions or can anyone pint me in the direction of what original colors may have been.

***...I'd love to see photos of your homes!

I did a google image search & it came back with a large variety of old homes. What makes an "Acadian" an Acadian?? What are the distinct features??
    The true Craftsman is nearly extinct,
    now it's just Made in China Hidden Content